1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creating resources for autumn

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by surfblue33, Jun 23, 2019.

1. surfblue33

surfblue33 New commenter

Hello all,
    I’m an NQT and have been asked to pull resources together for the autumn term. Having familiarised myself with the resources bank of my department, I have found that most of it is already on there. The school however has recently adopted a new lesson structure.
    My question is... will I be labelled as lazy if I were to utilise the many materials that are already in the bank and just tweak them a little to fit the new lesson structure? It seems silly to me to reinvent the wheel when there is a wealth of experience, knowledge and materials already on the system.
    Thank you

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

You may need to ask for clarification on which aspects of the curriculum the resources are needed for.

3. surfblue33

surfblue33 New commenter

Thank you.
    I’m MFL and have been given the SOW’s for the KS which I’m “responsible” for. They are really well written and very detailed so I think that I have that information.

4. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Autumn? Thank goodness I have got out of teaching!

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

To answer your question, surfblue33, I would say that teachers (especially NQTs) should always be on the look out for "new" resources. Sometimes there will be some wonderful resources, hidden away in a cupboard or on that top shelf. No one has used them for years and forgotten all about them!

Yes, please do NOT re-invent the wheel. On the other hand, if I were an NQT I would plagiarize, copy and adapt as much as I can. That way, it will LOOK as though you have been fantastically busy and you have created lots of "new" resources, but really you just ripped them off, adapted and changed them a bit. Make sure that you put your name or your "logo" onto all of the "new" resources you are making, so that you get all of the credit for your hard work.

I have been teaching in international schools for quite a while, so I have a rather cavalier attitude towards the laws of copyright. Perhaps in the UK you have to be a little bit careful sometimes.

6. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

They say immitation is the greatest form of flattery. Over the years I have frequently been flattered by the recycling and reuse of resources that I created from scratch. Sadly few people seem to want to pay for anything these days. At least not online any way.