1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creating quizes in Flash CS4

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by evilpixie, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Apparently older versions of Flash used to have a quiz template but not any more so I was wondering if anyone had any templates or advice on trying to do a Flash quiz?
    I'm PGCE and still new to Flash but thought it may engage a couple of my lower ability KS3 classes.
    Cheers
    Kim

2. You would be best avoiding Flash with this group, it will most probably be beyond them (especially if you are new to Flash yourself).

Try alternative software for quiz-making, PowerPoint will actually do the trick and your students will find it easier as they should already be familiar with the interface etc.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

4. Good point guys thanks, out of interest does anyone know how I can learn how to do a quiz in Flash?
    Thanks

5. dontdoit007

dontdoit007 New commenter

HI evilpixie
    The book "D202:Multimedia, Using Macromedia Studio MX 2004" by Heathcote has a nice section on implementing a quiz in flash

6. Thanks that's great - I'll have a look!

7. I've got some old Flash quiz templates that I made many years ago (many > 10). You would be welcome to look at the approach I used at the time - although I found it easier to make this sort of thing database-driven and just give them a form to fill in online.

However, one thought. Have you considered using Scratch in preference to Flash? For a number of reasons, this is the direction I'm currently going in and I can let you have some templates to look at and re-work for your classes.

8. To do a quiz, you will most certainly need to do some actionscripting. The version of actionscript is significantly different in CS4 to the old MX versions. The above book is useless in that regard, you will need a book/tutorials on the latest version of actionscript.
    As said in a previous post, unfortunately, quizzes in Flash is way beyond KS3. More involved interactivity in Flash is huge step up in complexity from animation. Stick with the Powerpoints, I've seen some absolutely stunning Powerpoint based stuff, especially if you get students to create some interesting graphical assets for it in Photoshop/Illustrator/other graphics program.

9. CS4 still has AS2 as an option.
    I got the book and there is lots of interesting things in it, useful not just for this but for Flash as a new topic too so a good inverstment.
    Plus I have an interview on Tuesday which still uses this old version so that's a plus too!
    Thanks