1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

creating dept. vision

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by AmandeepL, May 11, 2016.

1. AmandeepL

AmandeepL New commenter

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help - I have an interview tomorrow for a Head of Dept. post for English and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips with creating a vision presentation. It needs to last 5 minutes.

I have some ideas, but if anyone could help, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

5 minutes means that they don't want Powerpoint, they just want to hear you speaking from the heart (so don't read from notes) about how you would lead the dept and achieve your vision.

Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  3. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

Just think back to why you applied for the HoD job - I'm guessing it isn't the money or the free time!! Just think about the kind of English department would be your ideal English department as it were and how you would go about creating it. I got asked this last week for my HoD job and I had no problems with it - speak, as Middlemarch says, from the heart.

I'd also see that I mentioned key areas such as curriculum development, assessment and how you will help your disadvantaged students.

4. AmandeepL

AmandeepL New commenter

Hi. Many thanks for your replies.
    I took your advice and spoke from the heart linking my vision to three key strands that I repeated and referred to this during the interview.

Unfortunately I didn't get the post. It went to an internal candidate, though it was mentioned in the feedback that they would have liked those three key words on ppt so they could refer back to them and that I should always do this in future ( I did notice that the internal candidate did not have a ppt either!)

Never mind! I appreciate the advice !

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Better than a PP would be a handout, surely? How can they refer back to a PP after you've gone and it's gone?

I smell "This is the only thing we can think of to justify not giving you the job, because we just preferred the person we appointed" - which is all feedback tends to be.

AmandeepL and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. AmandeepL

AmandeepL New commenter

I agree on reflection. They also said that my lesson was engaging and we'll planned, I had used great questioning strategies to get a reluctant class to participate but 2 people didn't share their thoughts ( I had spoken to them individually ), and that I should have marked their books as well as the verbal feedback I gave!

Onwards and upwards

Middlemarch likes this.