1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creating an Optional timetable in NOVA T6

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by ggladman, Apr 27, 2016.

1. ggladman

ggladman New commenter

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but seeing as most timetablers are SLT....

I am attempting to write a school timetable using NOVA T6, with some success last year.

This year I am having a problem setting up optional classes in the 6th form. The setup is as follows:

(1) Year 12 is setup with 5 blocks. Four are standard blocks full of 10 periods per fortnight A Level subjects. No problems here.

(2) The 5th block contains a variety of "enrichment" subjects, e.g. Health & Safety, Food Hygiene, Community Service, etc...... all of which run several classes,of differing numbers of periods and different (overlapping) times within the block. Students are then allowed to opt for as many of these options as they wish (i.e. they could go for 10 frees if they wish or any combination of enrichments.) I.e. an optional timetable.

So you can't allocate students to more than one line within the block once in SIMS and hence we have problems with registration of students on optional courses and the exams officer goes crazy without established set lists on SIMS (being linked to course manager and therefore NOVA T6).

Can anyone think of a solution. How could I set up this 5th block in such a way that students we can place students in multiple subjects within the block. I am happy to look at banding solutions or any other ideas.

Many thanks

Graham

2. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

I don't have any advice in regards to your timetabling issues, but I would advise that you change your username or don't state your first name at the end of your posts as you can be easily identified.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

You might find some help on Edugeek - it's mainly IT tech on the forum there, but there are also some timetabling and Nova-T gurus as well.