1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creating an App

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by kellyrosina, May 16, 2016.

1. kellyrosina

kellyrosina New commenter

Hi everyone,

I would like to deliver a SOW for students to create an App of their choice. I previously encountered AppInventor from MIT but I would like to use something less "babyish".

Could anyone please recommend a free software that is fairly easy to use and does not restrict the more able students?

Thanks

Kelly

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

What are you actually trying to teach them?

If it's a programming exercise and you want to make an app, you can use things like Eclipse and Java, but it's a LOT more hardcore, and you'll need to write the code, e.g. to work out which way up the phone is, how large the screen is, etc.

If you just want a mobile-optmised web-page (which is what lots of the "apps" created in schools seem to be), you could teach them how to create a web-page with responsive design in HTML and CSS (using free software such as Microsoft Expression Web).

kellyrosina likes this.
  3. HeatonMoorDigital

HeatonMoorDigital New commenter

There are plenty of app building platforms out there (appMkr, appypie etc..) some with free versions. Most are focussed at "non programmers" so they are very much drag and drop. If it is coding you are after, then it would need prior knowledge/research, use of a specalised IDE and a lot of time!

The suggestion above using HTML5/CCS3 would be a good compromise using a mobile platform design approach. I have done this before.

kellyrosina likes this.
  4. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

If you really have outgrown Appinventor .

Then the path is fairly easy either
    Learn Java then use the Android SDK
    or
    Learn HTML, CSS and Javascripot and use one of the numerous WebApp development tools Phonegap, Appery etc.

or if you want to go down the ios route learn Swift

N.B. Don't be fooled by the drag and drop interface of Appinventor it hides a very powerful development environment. Experience tells me that most people only ever scratch the surface

kellyrosina likes this.
  5. shedMusic

shedMusic New commenter

Take a look at processing.org

A simple IDE that removes the difficult aspects of setting up in something like Eclipse. Although primarily for java, there is an android mode (needs SDK download) that makes basic app development as easy as it can be (as far as I know)

I use it because I'm not a 'real' programmer, just a teacher who wanted to have a go and found Eclipse too scary when I started - ideal for school pupils ... and free (or donate)

No drag and drop, just code typing ... but very easy to get quick results :)

kellyrosina likes this.