1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creating a teaching CV....yikers :)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Katronic, May 16, 2011.

1. Hello Theo,
    With the end of my probationary year in sight I'm currently applying for jobs. I am keen to work overseas and been trying to put a CV together. This is to send to international schools and in response to job adverts. Struggling a bit with what to include.
    I started teacher training when I was 25. Prior to that I had held a number of jobs, both in the UK and abroad. Also while at university and during holidays. Always with responsibility, successes and promotion but never for very long and not related to teaching. I have moved around alot,however I feel these experiences have had made me who I am and given me traits that have a very positive effect on my practice.
    However to include them all is very lengthy and most advice seems to suggest omitting any non teacher experience. This would leave large gaps in my employment and my CV looks rather bare.
    Also should I include a personal statement? If so should it include my key skills and teaching style?
    Many questions I know but I am finding it hard to get any advice.
    Cheers! Katy
    Oh im a primary teacher from Scotland if that bares any significance.

2. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Hi Katy
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>In answer to your question: [quote
    user="Katronic"]Also should I include a personal statement? If so
    should it include my key skills and teaching style?[/quote] I think you should
    have a personal statement on your CV, it should be about 2 lines underneath
    your name on the CV and be in the 3rd person - ie. "A passionate and
    enthusiastic teacher who...." Perhaps you should then build on this by
    writing a longer statement of application explaining why you're applying and
    detailing your experience in things they are looking for.

</font>

</font>I have worked abroad and when I was applying to do so, I was
    advised to keep my CV for international jobs to one page, and to include a
    photograph. (This was about 8 years ago, so things may have changed slightly - this I am not 100% sure of).
    I think they don't like as much detail on CVs as we do over here. Keep your job
    descriptions brief and succinct, and then perhaps you can mention your
    non-teaching experience as well? For uni jobs/temporary work, I would stick to
    things that are most relevant to your career as a teacher, and ditch anything
    which doesn't fit the bill.

</font>

</font>Finally, I recommend you use Theo's Executive Summary when
    responding to job adverts - look at their person specification, or work out
    what they are looking for from the information you are given, and show how you
    fit the bill -you could perhaps include things from your more varied career
    history to show how you have gained experience across a variety of skill areas?
    I think the ES shows perfectly how you are the right candidate without
    prospective employers having to trawl through the application forms etc to find
    this out - it's there on one page and they can see how you are worth
    interviewing. There's loads of advice if you click on this link to Theo's advice about writing letters, CVs and your ES https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6008055.

</font>Hope this helps!

</font>

</font>

</font>

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lighthouse keeper has given some pretty useful advice here - thank you!
    There's just one thing that I disagree on:
    This is not a personal statement (see the FAQs for what is . . .) it is a mission statement, and is common in business applications.
    But not in education ones.
    Personally I absolutely HATE them, and I would say that anything that can arouse that sort of passion in even one Head might do the same in another.
    Leave it out!
    Pop over to the Teaching overseas Forum an get a feel there for the application scene, and also the part of the world you are thinking of.
    Good luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

PS
    I should have said:
    CVs are not used for applications to state schools in England & Wales (dunno about Bonnie Scotland), as the govt told schools some 5-6 years ago not to accept them.
    So don't bother with one, you other posters, unless you are applying to an international school or to one of the few independent schools who haven't yet caught up with the govt advice.
    Good luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!