1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creating a Primary Curriculum in the Secondary school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by puffy_amiyumi, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    The subject title pretty much sums it up but I come to you for help.
    In September my school will be introducing a 'nurture' curriculum for our lower ability year 7 students. Students will follow a 'normal' timetable but will have one 'nurture' lesson a week; the aim being to improve literacy levels. I don't want this to be a repeat of English lessons, and would like if possible for this to be fun and have therefore become inspired by the idea of creating a 'topic' style curriculum, e.g. Victorian England and using this as a basis for developing literacy skills. I was therefore wondering if anyone had any help or advice they could give me re: organising a teaching sequence/topic planning etc.
    I appreciate anyone who can provide any help or support for someone feeling pretty clueless at the mo!

2. I've heard o a secondary EBD school doing this for most of its pupils.
    There may be a special school near you that you could liaise with.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Speak to all your primary schools and see what they do throughout KS2, make sure you don't repeat what they have done.

Lots of literacy about a topic is not a topic based curriculum. It is just literacy in a historical, scientific or geographical context.

Ask the class what they are interested in and go with that. Different groups may want to study different things and it would be best to go with their interests.

An extra literacy lesson a week, however interesting, doesn't seem very much of a 'nurture' session.

You could find out what your own school are teaching and use one of those as a context for these sessions.

Although you don't want it to be a repeat of a literacy lesson, to raise standards it would be good to liaise with the English department and find out what they are teaching and provide more practice in that.

4. Thank you for your replies.
    I think first step is to ascertain what they may have learnt in Primary School and go from there. Have found some really useful ideas from the resources section of this site. I love TES!