1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creating a half decent "free" website

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by adamcreen, Feb 23, 2012.

1. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I've used Moonfruit very successfully with a number of churches, charities and businesses.

The free version is versatile in terms of templates, text, pictures etc.

Because I wanted more storage and a domain name registered, each organisation pays about £30 a year and Moonfruit take care of all of the admin.

Here's an example: http://www.ottershawchurch.com

2. Hi, have you tried wix.com? That is a free website maker, and although they have fab templates, they also have blank ones for you to desgin. Both really easy to use. Your webiste address would be longer, as it's through wix. However you can upgrade for a price and register your domain etc...

Clairey

3. If that is the type of standard that I could get I'd be more than happy. Thanks for attaching the example for me to look at.

4. Thanks. I have come across them on 1 website I am aware another tutor used but they said they had issues with how long the pages took to load. It may be that they had too many pics though.

5. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

Mine was free and I created it myself (I got better at adding pages, banners and weblinks as the months went on) - www.socialsciencetutor.co.uk

6. Have just checkesd out your site. It certainly looks impressive and comprehensive and I like the list with all the resources on the left.
    Which software did you use to create it? I would like to do something similar.

7. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

Thank you! I am not an IT expert and had no prior experience of building websites. I just used the templates, tools and help guides provided by GBBO (www.gbbo.co.uk).
    Because it's a google-based initiative, you can also use something called 'google analytics' which tracks how many people visit the site, the town they come from and which pages they viewed.
    Once your website is up and running, you just have to advertise as much as you can all over the internet so that people will click on your web link (I would advise having a separate email address and mobile number just for your tuition business, as I do get a lot of unwanted sales calls/emails since having the website).

8. Wow! I cannot believe you did this from scratch so well done you!
    That is amazing and v. impressive.
    This will be a weekend project for me.
    Ravena- yes, I will have to get a new mobile and other email address (v. gd. idea) as I am exdirectory and really value my privacy and do not want odd-bods ringing whenever. It's bad ennough with these PPI recorded messages which I tend to get in a stream between 4-6pm every day!!
    Have you actually set up your own tuition business ? How is it going? Do you do this alongside mainstream teaching or another job? As this is something I desperately want to do!
    BUT I am a total novice. Would like to set up a German/ EFL business. After 7 years of supply teaching (and secondary supply is dead), I am on the dole, but eager to do something else with my life and explore new shores.

9. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

yes, I'm a full time HoD in addition to part-time tutoring, although currently on maternity leave so doing neither at present. You just need to register as a sole trader with HMRC for tax purposes and start advertising - I get good leads from www.tutors4me.co.uk and www.thetutorpages.com as well as from my website.
    Good luck!

10. Ah, thanks for the tutor site tops - this really has made my day.
    Can't believe that you used to do HOD role alongside tutoring! Hut ab! hat off to you,.
    Have you any tips re. advertising - I thought of newsagents (in good areas), libraries, local press and also doing some business cards and posting them to the HOD/ MFL in various schools.
    I hear it is £350 to advertise in the Yellow Pages and I can't afford that yet. Am currently living on £63 a week so I do hope I get some work one way or another soon!
    But a big thanks for all your help. [​IMG]

11. Thanks Adam, I'll bear that in mind. Your site was one of the things that prompted me to go with Moonfruit.

12. This is probably a bit late, but for people who might read this thread in future, I would say that WordPress (www.wordpress.com) is a great alternative for making free websites easily.

It is mostly intended for creating blogs, but it is certainly customisable enough to make a full website with. There are also lots of existing plugins for the service that you can use to add functionality to the site, if you need it to do things.

The other plus of WordPress is that there is a lot of existing guidance material for beginners/first-time website creators.

I am a tutor and web developer. I personally don't use WordPress, but if I were starting from a point of no experience I would definitely use it to make a quick site.

Best of luck,

Jonathan

13. Just in case anyone is interested here is the site I produced using Moonfruit:
    primaryschoolsupport.com

It did take me several days to do which I guess you need to consider when weighing up whether to pay someone else to do it for you. I'm always a bit worried when I want to change anything too because other than the most obvious things it can take quite a bit of reading up on again every time and it seems that if you do something wrong you could easily make a real mess of the site which could take a lot of effort to rectify.
    Despite following their SEO guides I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't come up more easily in searches (but most people are probably finding it through looking at one of my leaflets) and I really don't seem to be able to make any sense of the Google Analytics.
    I'm quite happy with how it has turned out given my lack of skills in IT!

14. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

That looks really impressive - thanks for sharing! Has inspired me to maybe give it a bash (if I ever have the time...)

15. Thanks bananamoore. As I still work in a school at the moment the school holidays came in handy!
    One other point that might be helpful for people is that I spent a fair bit of time trying to find out where to get photos from rather than just using google images, so as not to infringe copyright etc. In the end I discovered bigstockphotos.com and used them for most of the photos (other than my nephew and niece, and one of me). I just purchased the smallest sized images at about £2 each.
    I don't imagine anyone would be likely to try to take action against me for using images I didn't pay for like those on google but I figured for a relatively small cost it wasn't worth the risk.