1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creating a clickable revision quiz

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Brian54, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Brian54

Brian54 New commenter

I want to create a revision quiz for my subject.
    If you can imagine, say 16 boxes with questions Q1 to Q16 written on each box. When a box is clicked the question appears, when the question is clicked the answer appears.
    Does anybody have any idea what software would be best to use to create such a quiz? Of course any advice would be appreciated.

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

There are probably lots of contenders, depending on how flash you want the end result to be, and how much you want to spend, maybe even some good alternatives for free. If appearance isn't a big issue, and you just want something to produce a quiz in short order, you could always use a set of PowerPoint slides. Produce a 'menu' slide where clicking on a shape invokes a hyperlink to another page containing the question, which in turn runs a macro to display the hidden box containing the answer, when clicked.

I used quizzes a lot, and I used Tanida QuizBuilder, which allows you to create quizzes in various different formats, and is really easy to get to grips with. It also lets you have the results emailed to you whenever a student takes the quiz, highlighting which questions they got right and which they got wrong. You can set it up to give 'instant feedback' when the student completes the quiz, including an explanation of why a particular answer may have been wrong. Quizzes can be created in different formats, including SCORM, Flash, standalone exe. It's a bit old in the tooth now, but might be worth a look?

Brian54 and mathsmutt like this.
  3. Brian54

Brian54 New commenter

Thanks Cat for your quick reply.
    As far as the powerpoint suggestion goes. Do the questions have to be done in sequence from the menu page (just slide 1 with 16 boxes with a the question number on it?). I've made what I think is a menu page but don't seem able to select a question at random and get it to work successfully

4. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

I would send you a bare framework example, but my Windows machine with Offfice on it is in dry dock at the moment and I'm using my Ubuntu netbook, so unable to run PowerPoint.

The basic version isn't that difficult. Put 16 boxes on Slide 1, with each box set up to act as a hyperlink, so when clicked it will open whichever slide the hyperlink points to. So for example, clicking Box 3 would open slide 3 etc. Set separate hyperlinks for each of the 16 boxes, so you can click any one of them and the appropraite question slide opens up.

Then for each of the slides containing the questions, you would need one box containing the question itself, and another hidden box containing the answer. Then set an interaction on the question box, so that when the box is clicked, the hidden box containing the answer is displayed.

You can then put either a Button, or a plain hyperlink, on each question slide, to allow the user to return to the main menu slide.

I think getting it to work so that a random question is pulled up, would require you to use some macros, and probably some VBA, because you'd need some way of randomising which question slide is returned, each time you click on any of the boxes on Slide 1. It's do-able, as long as you're OK with using VBA. There may even be some built-in macros in PowerPoint you could use. Not too sure, as I haven't used PowerPoint much of late.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017