1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Creating a class name for F2 / Yr1 class with childrens input

Discussion in 'Primary' started by totallyhappy, May 31, 2011.

1. Hi, I am an NQT (but have been doing supply since september) and after half term I am starting a 1 year contract at a school.
    The school has a lot of social and emotional issues with its pupils due to their background and to combate this within the school they try to ensure that the children always know what is going on and that there is no unknown. Its a bit complicated ... they run weeks friday to thursday so over lapping the weekend so children know what they are doing in class, and try to do a similar thing with holidays. Anyway that is just background, this year they are introducing all the classes to the teacher they will have in september in june, so although i will be teaching year 1 when i start in june i will teach in Foundation 2 to get to know the children in their own environment, until the final week of term when every class moves to their new classroom so change happens gradually. (year 6 go to F2 room)
    As part of this slow adjustment, I have to get the children to come up with a class name for themselves which will be used while they are in Year 1, does anyone have any experience of doing this with children of this age?? Any suggestions would be of use.
    When we have decided on a name we make a banner and think of our class rules. All in all i think it is a good idea but im not sure how to go about creating the name without just giving the class a name so to speak.

2. Hi, I am an NQT (but have been doing supply since september) and after half term I am starting a 1 year contract at a school.
    The school has a lot of social and emotional issues with its pupils due to their background and to combate this within the school they try to ensure that the children always know what is going on and that there is no unknown. Its a bit complicated ... they run weeks friday to thursday so over lapping the weekend so children know what they are doing in class, and try to do a similar thing with holidays. Anyway that is just background, this year they are introducing all the classes to the teacher they will have in september in june, so although i will be teaching year 1 when i start in june i will teach in Foundation 2 to get to know the children in their own environment, until the final week of term when every class moves to their new classroom so change happens gradually. (year 6 go to F2 room)
    As part of this slow adjustment, I have to get the children to come up with a class name for themselves which will be used while they are in Year 1, does anyone have any experience of doing this with children of this age?? Any suggestions would be of use.
    When we have decided on a name we make a banner and think of our class rules. All in all i think it is a good idea but im not sure how to go about creating the name without just giving the class a name so to speak.

3. We have animalclass identities for each class. The children pick them on our swap days.

They are normally alliterative e.g. brilliant bears, marvellous mice etc.

You could get the children to give you animal names and talk about the qualities of the animals then guide them into creating an identity maybe.