1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CRB's. How many do you have?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mrswindows54, Nov 16, 2011.

1. I am being forced to apply and pay for another CRB check this week. I already have four current forms and an uncounted number of expired (older than three years) ones. I though this bit of money making for some agency in London was going to stop!

2. I am being forced to apply and pay for another CRB check this week. I already have four current forms and an uncounted number of expired (older than three years) ones. I though this bit of money making for some agency in London was going to stop!

3. The thing about CRB checks is that you can commit a serious crime the day you get your certificate and potentially go and get a job the next day (say whilst you were under investigation) and your CRB would look fine. There are hundreds of people working with children and vulnerable adults all over the UK with 'valid' CRB checks because they don't expire (at all). Most schools insist on CRBs being no older than 24 months and most agencies will either ask for CRBs to be less than 12 months old or will request that you are re-checked prior to every new assignment (or post your last assignment) to cover their backs.

It's a total pain in the **** but it has to be done.

I personally think the CRB system is flawed. All they check for is actual convictions, they don't check all criminal history and that to me is a dangerous game to play.

I'd suggest that if you have a firm offer from a school for a placement then you should request that the agency pays for the check out of their pockets or fax the school your current check certificate and ask them if they are happy with it or require a fresh one. At least that way you might be able to avoid unnecessary costs.

4. I have 23 CRBs with two more currently being processed.

I have a singe driving licence which, if I am stopped, can be used by the police to check my tax, insurance, ownership and anything criminal, past or current, attached to my name.I don't know how licences are uprated for points having never had any, but I understand it's very efficient.

This suggests that the police system is more efficient and that motoring offences are more important than child protection.

5. You must be a Guiness Book of Records candidate! If it is not too personal a question, how come so many? Do you need individual checks for individual schools? Or are we counting old ones too?

6. I am currently filling out the form again!!!

7. I only have one.

8. ...how many CRBs do I have?...enough to wallpaper my bedroom with....over officious *** in agencies and schools as well as the CRB people themselves just love this "I can control your life" for the sake of one piece of paper. There has to be better system in place to save this ludicrous amount of money being wasted on idiots in the CRB who, via unsustainable targets and service level agreements with the police, can take up to 12 week sodding weeks to get a CRB clearance
    I successfully annoyed the CRB so much last year that I actually won a mal-administration case against them...one up for the ordinary man I say

9. Congratulations!! Did they award you enough money to pay for umpteen more checks in the future?

10. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

I only have one.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have 2 but one is very old, the other is current. All CRBs are valid for 3 years.

12. Over the last 18 months or so, I have to buy a new one for every agency I joined, which amounts to nine, plus another two, which were taken out when I was given TA work, without my knowledge, which negated any money I earned for the days. I have come nowhere near recouping the £500, this represents.