1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CRB - Was I Wrong?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Lilybett, Nov 29, 2011.

1. On the job advert it said:
    The successful applicant will be required to complete a Disclosure Application Form and to provide criminal conviction information.
    I have a caution from 6.5 years ago. It's for something silly that doesn't make me ineligable to work with children. I've obviously been CRB checked many times for PGCE and subsequent jobs with children. I have just started my NQT post.
    I didn't mention the caution in my application or interview, as I wasn't then the successful candidate! As soon as I was offered the job, I filled in the CRB check form and returned it to school. On that I declared my caution. I also filled in the LA's accompanying sheet, which gives you chance to make a statement about convictions/cautions which may show up. Additionally, I gave the school my last CRB check (less than 2 months old) from my previous job as an interim measure.
    Now that my CRB for this job has come back, my Head is angry about it. I feel like I did everything I was asked, though. No, I didn't advertise it but I never tried to hide it and was completely open and co-operative with the CRB vetting process. I couldn't find the Head after school today but feel like I'd like to talk about this with her on Thursday.
    Because she's angry, I feel I should apologise, but do I have anything to apologise for? I don't really want to admit guilt for something when I don't really think I did anything wrong. This is not my first job in a school and every time before I have done the same thing and nothing has been said when the CRB came back. Would really appreciate some advice on how to handle this. It especially matters because this is a temporary post, and I already know of two others who will be after this job when it is advertised as permanent next summer!!
    Many, many thanks x

2. On the job advert it said:
    The successful applicant will be required to complete a Disclosure Application Form and to provide criminal conviction information.
    I have a caution from 6.5 years ago. It's for something silly that doesn't make me ineligable to work with children. I've obviously been CRB checked many times for PGCE and subsequent jobs with children. I have just started my NQT post.
    I didn't mention the caution in my application or interview, as I wasn't then the successful candidate! As soon as I was offered the job, I filled in the CRB check form and returned it to school. On that I declared my caution. I also filled in the LA's accompanying sheet, which gives you chance to make a statement about convictions/cautions which may show up. Additionally, I gave the school my last CRB check (less than 2 months old) from my previous job as an interim measure.
    Now that my CRB for this job has come back, my Head is angry about it. I feel like I did everything I was asked, though. No, I didn't advertise it but I never tried to hide it and was completely open and co-operative with the CRB vetting process. I couldn't find the Head after school today but feel like I'd like to talk about this with her on Thursday.
    Because she's angry, I feel I should apologise, but do I have anything to apologise for? I don't really want to admit guilt for something when I don't really think I did anything wrong. This is not my first job in a school and every time before I have done the same thing and nothing has been said when the CRB came back. Would really appreciate some advice on how to handle this. It especially matters because this is a temporary post, and I already know of two others who will be after this job when it is advertised as permanent next summer!!
    Many, many thanks x

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you declared it at every possible opportunity then there is no need to do anything at all. If the school chose not to read your forms carefully then that is their problem and not yours. I imagine the HT is more annoyed with the person who didn't tell her what you had written than she is with you.

I wouldn't discuss it with the HT at all. There is nothing to be said really. You did all that has been required of you and now just need to show that you are by far the very best teacher in the school, and especially the very best candidate for that permanent post.

If the HT wants to discuss it with you then confidently tell her all that you did, in the same way that you have here, and that is all. No need to apologise or worry.

4. Yes - you are in the right her, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think that it is right that CRB's go to head teachers - they should be dealt with by HR IMO. Too many heads are either gossips, bullies or don't understand the system (incompetent).

5. Well. I suppose I could have told her on the phone as she offered me the job. I could have phoned her up later to tell her. Hmmmm, took the CRB forms into school a day or two later and gave to one of the admin laydees... Another day later, took my then-current CRB in and gave it to the Head in person (she obviously didn't read it!).
    She said (and it was SO obvious she was really bloody cross) someone from the LA had phoned her to tell her about the caution and to read out my statement (!). She was seriously curt, but has decided to leave it as it was so long ago. It is being referred to the Chair of Governors, though.
    Glad not to be in school tomorrow! [​IMG]
    Thank you for replying - and for the reassurances! xx

6. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The incident doesn't bar you from working with children. That should be the end of the matter. Why should you spend your life worrying about something that happened six and half years ago? You've done nothing wrong. Do not apologise.
    Referring it to the chair of governors is cowardice. That person has no authority to act unless it's in an emergency.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I hope the 'referring it to governors' is purely a way of letting the governors know that the admin staff and HT have not done the checks they should have done. Governors will want to know and fair enough, but their main questions ought to be why this has not been brought to them much earlier and who checked before you started work. The CRB form and your statement have a date on them, so there is proof it is nothing to do with you.

You do not need to tell the HT when she offers you the post.

8. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

(It should clarify their procedures as regards asking for CRB disclosures, so you can establish whether they followed their own policy, or where the breakdown was that meant they didn't ask you for a declaration sooner.)

9. Hi! The application form only asks for you to sign to say you agree to a CRB being done, if appointed. I didn't lie at all. I haven't advertised it - I didn't go into the interview, shake her hand and tell her there's a caution on my record. But at every chance they've given me, I've declared it - and even extra, giving them the copy of my current CRB. They obviously didn't read any of it and just stuck it all in the post to the LA! [​IMG] xx

10. chriszwinter1

If your HT has let you continue working despite knowing this, then that proves that she does not see you as a risk to children. If she thought of you as a risk, she should suspend you, in accordance with procedures. She hasn't done that, has she?

11. chriszwinter1

All those who use the CRB are expected to conform to its code of practice. This covers things like who should see the information and how that information should be stored and when it should be disposed of. If your HT has broken that code, get your union involved if you haven't already.