1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

CRB checks

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by meggioco, Sep 6, 2011.

  1. I am in the middle of filling out my CRB form and have to give addresses of everywhere I have lived in the past 5 years. I have lived in France Spain and the UAE in the past 5 years and am told I need to put down all the addresses. Does this mean I need to call the French and Spanish embassies and try to get them to give me police checks or do the British police do this themselves? I am seriously considering not putting down France or Spain as I am already late infilling the form and it could take weeks to get a check from them.. help!!! (I already have one for the UAE)
    Any advice is appreciated! Cheers!
  2. I've filled out a CRB form before and I seem to remember that the guidence says that there most be no gaps in the address history and it has to be continuous and all overseas addresses should be included
  3. Hi!
    this is the advice from the CRB website:
    If you have lived outside of the UK over the last five years, you will need to provide your overseas address (or addresses)

    and the guide says
    If you have lived overseas for an extended period, you should enter OVERSEAS into
    the first line of your previous address and enter the country and dates in the
    provided fields however we do not need to know about holidays on boats or ships
    unless they have essentially become your permanent residence, in which case it
    should be included.

    It doesn't say anything about getting checks from the embassies, well, not that I can find.
    You can find the guide and continuation forms here, if you haven't seen this already http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Startinganewjob/DG_195813
  4. Hope that helps, sorry about the formatting; there were paragraphs when I wrote it!
  5. Ophelia 9

    Ophelia 9 New commenter

    A French 'good conduct' certificate can be obtained very easily through here: http://www.cjn.justice.gouv.fr/.
    Just fill in the online form and it will be sent to you quickly and at no cost - it's basically just a brief letter showing that nothing was found. If you search on this forum you will find past advice about obtaining these from other countries - think Spain may be a little more complicated but I'm not sure
    You will have to have these done but this doesn't mean that it will hold everything up for you - your training provider should allow for the time it takes to get these other forms.
  6. As stated, CRB will only do the checks in UK, and it's up to your training provider if they want anything from other countries you've lived in - and yes, you have to list them all. Ask the relevant embassy for how to go about it (though it's not always ease to get hold of the right people or get a response). If you put a specific question about a country on Student Teachers or NQT forums, someone who has gone through it is likely to chip in.
    Also CRB website has brief details of how to get checks done in selected countries.
  7. Kartoshka

    Kartoshka Established commenter

    You must put down all the addresses you have lived at in the past 5 years. By not putting down France or Spain you would be making a false declaration. You must not do this.
    I have lived abroad for 3 out of the past 5 years, with several foreign addresses. I've done two CRB checks and both have come back successfully and quickly. No further evidence has been required either by my university (as a trainee) or by my school (as an NQT).

Share This Page