1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CRB checks for year abroad - Spain and France

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lauzb, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I have just found out that for my place at Oxford, I need to obtain equivalents of the CRB from Spain and France for the 5 months I spent in each country during my year abroad.

I think I have successfully applied for the French one at : www.cjn.justice.gouv.fr. I filled in my details online and they emailed me a response and I had to attach a copy of my passport to it and email it back. The Extrait de Casier Judiciaire should arrive at my home address asap. Hopefully I've done that correctly.

The Spanish one seems more complicated though. There's a small fee, a form called Modelo 790 to fill in and everything has to be sent in the post to Madrid. I have looked at the form and it asks for N.I.F which I think is some sort of tax number but as I only spent 5 months in Spain, I don't have one of these. It also asks for the D.N.I and I obviously don't have this as I'm not Spanish. Does anyone know if I should put my passport number or leave it blank> Also, should I put my National Insurance number in the N.I.F box or leave that blank> Will the application still be processed without these numbers>
    Also, I think that I can go into an English bank and pay the 3 euros something for the application and get the form stamped. Is that right>

If someone has had a similar experience and understands all of this stuff - Please help!! Thanks.

2. I have just found out that for my place at Oxford, I need to obtain equivalents of the CRB from Spain and France for the 5 months I spent in each country during my year abroad.

I think I have successfully applied for the French one at : www.cjn.justice.gouv.fr. I filled in my details online and they emailed me a response and I had to attach a copy of my passport to it and email it back. The Extrait de Casier Judiciaire should arrive at my home address asap. Hopefully I've done that correctly.

The Spanish one seems more complicated though. There's a small fee, a form called Modelo 790 to fill in and everything has to be sent in the post to Madrid. I have looked at the form and it asks for N.I.F which I think is some sort of tax number but as I only spent 5 months in Spain, I don't have one of these. It also asks for the D.N.I and I obviously don't have this as I'm not Spanish. Does anyone know if I should put my passport number or leave it blank> Also, should I put my National Insurance number in the N.I.F box or leave that blank> Will the application still be processed without these numbers>
    Also, I think that I can go into an English bank and pay the 3 euros something for the application and get the form stamped. Is that right>

If someone has had a similar experience and understands all of this stuff - Please help!! Thanks.

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

What a flipping faff! Are you sure it's necessary? The first CRB form I filled in had my address in Switzerland for a significant length of time (as it is my home country), they never required anything from the Swiss police... That was seven or eight years ago, have they changed the system since then? Sorry I can't be of any help, but I feel for you!

4. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Why do you need to get these documents? Are you embarking on teacher training?
    It may help to look on the British Council's language assistant pages - http://www.britishcouncil.org/languageassistants-before-i-leave-home-fla.htm -
    "If you are from Spain, you should get a ‘Certificado Negativo de Antecedentes Penales’ from your local ‘Gerencia Territoriales’ of the ‘Ministerio Justicia’ "
    French FLAs have to get the Extrait de casier judiciaire
    Any use?

5. Are you doing 2 FLA placements? If not and you are doing semesters at universities you don't need them. My son is on a placement at university in Spain at the moment and he certainly was never asked for or needed one.