1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CRB check - Middle east

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by nr908368, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Dear all,

I have been offerd a position as a teacher in a secondary school in middle east. I have a criminal conviction for drink driving and possession of cannabis. I see that to get a work visa I have to submit a CRB. Does anyone know if this will mean I wont be able to take up the job. I do have a clean CRB from last year addressed to my School, can I get a visa based on this or will I need to apply for a new one.

Many Thanks

2. Dear all,

I have been offerd a position as a teacher in a secondary school in middle east. I have a criminal conviction for drink driving and possession of cannabis. I see that to get a work visa I have to submit a CRB. Does anyone know if this will mean I wont be able to take up the job. I do have a clean CRB from last year addressed to my School, can I get a visa based on this or will I need to apply for a new one.

Many Thanks

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Having taught in Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the UAE and Qatar, my guess is that you will get away with it. When do you have to hand over the CRB? After you arrive in the ME or before? If it is after you get there, then my guess would be that the school's HR dept won't be too fussy about minor things like your CRB being out of date and therefore invalid.
    When I was teaching in Bucharest, I never had a CRB at all (as I had not been living in the UK) and so I was on a tourist visa for nearly two years. Then Romania joined the EU and then I did not need one any more. Of course the better international schools are rather more zealous when it comes to following up things like CRB, but many schools really cannot be bothered with these things and some local HR people do not understand what a CRB is anyway.
    If you do not have an address in the UK and you are not actually living there, then it is actually illegal to attempt to get a CRB, according to one police officer I contacted.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The Middle East takes a very dim view of drink driving and drugs. If you do happen to obtain your employment visa, keep very quiet about these offences.

5. the hippo

Yes, I would definitely agree with Karvol. If it were to come out in the wash, you would probably find yourself on the next plane home.

6. Hi, I was here over a year before my work asked for a CRB cert and it was out of date. That was only asked for because we had an inspection coming up. Have not got a new one since.
    As far as applying if you live outside the UK that's not true as the website has a section for what to do if you are resident outside of the UK so can't be illegal. You also need CRB certs for visa's to Australia for every country you have lived in over the past 10 years so must be possible. I would use the clean one and attempt to get a new one if asked for it. Good luck x

7. the hippo

Well, that's what the police told me! Which website is this anyway? What is the address?

8. Hi Thanks for that.

The only thing is you need to produce a Police check for a work permit which is 3 month from the date of the No Objection certificate. I have asked the relevent embassy who have said it should be ok but im pesamistic. Im thinking I should tell my employer and maybe they will still offer me the job based on my honesty!!!!

9. Karvol

That is your judgement call, but my gut feeling tells me that they will rescind their offer.

10. I was forced to get a CRB in the UK when i returned in the summer from the Middle East before I could get my work visa completed for Korea. In Korea they don't care if you dont live in the UK, nor do they care that it is not simply a process of walking into a police station and getting something printed out. Then they ask for the dammed thing apostilised! A right pain in the ****.

I got a CRB completed through an old employer. I have heard other teachers using disclosure Scotland to complete their CRB checks, whether inside or outside of the UK.

11. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

If you come to Qatar and subsequently are rejected by the government, your school will have no choice but to fire you and send you packing. How much of the cost the school will bear depends on the school, but if you had drug and drink offences that you never mentioned to them, I don't see them being too keen to pay anything.
    Frankly you're in a pretty tough spot. Rock and hard place.
    My suggestion is you come clean now. You may lose the offer, but far better to lose it now at little or no expense than to lose it a month into a new school year. Your prospects in that situation would be fairly grim.
    There's plenty of people out there with some youthful sins in their past (best be in your past - you don't fancy facing the law in Qatar if you are caught with drugs). I may personally feel that people can grow up and make good teachers after such events, but my personal views don't matter. The government of Qatar makes the decision in this case, not me.

12. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Without wishing to attack or offend the OP, I'm interested to see the matter-of-fact way in which everyone treats a drink-driving offence.
    A youthful folly, a daft indiscretion, something after which you can easily 'grow up and make a good teacher' as gulfgolf rightly says.
    If it comes to that, an absent-minded incident of rape, manslaughter or child molesting back in one's callow youth, or a short spell as a hooker or drug dealer or camp guard - are all serious transgressions which, given due repentance and reform, might not prevent someone growing up into a teacher.
    But the government of Qatar and most other countries would not share that view.
    I think drink driving is a serious crime. Owing to my very sheltered and privileged upbringing, I've met precisely one person who was sexually abused as a youngster. I 've known four who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers.
    No doubt that is unrepresentative - I don't have statistics to hand on the relative incidence of child abuse versus child injury caused by drink-driving - and I do know, of course, because the tabloids tell me so, that there are millions and millions of undisclosed cases of abuse.
    But I remain mildly surprised that drink-driving is still in the eyes of many people a foible which is OK as long as you don't get caught.
    One also hears, to be fair, that most local drivers in Qatar, even stone-cold-sober, are more dangerous than a UK-style feral boozed-up TWOCer.
    Nobody call me a hypocrite, please. I am drunk all the time, but for that very reason, among others, never drive.

13. Karvol

My brother-in-law was interviewed for a position with SOCA ( Serious and Organised Crime Agency ) a couple of years ago and one of the interview stages was an assessment on how he would handle people arrested for child abuse.
    He was then told the statistic by the interviewer that the average UK town has approximately 900 registered sex offenders.
    Now these can be for a variety of reasons but it is still, to my eyes, a shocking statistic.

14. the hippo

The driving in Qatar is so crazy that it will drive anyone to drink. I am fed up with white LandCruisers barging in and maybe that is why I have taken to leaving my empty shopping trolley behind a LandCruiser whenever I go to the Carrefour at Villaggio.

15. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

That, admittedly, is a very large number, probably exceeding the number of people in the average UK town who occasionally clamber into their vehicles with fourteen pints on board.
    So, taking my beloved Shrewsbury as an average town, of its 50,000 inhabitants let's say 10,000 are too young (hmm, but you never know) that's 900 out of 40,000 or about one in fifty. And if we assume that the great majority of the offenders are male, that's one in twenty-five or so, and while doing your Saturday morning shopping you will encounter scores of registered sex offenders without (you hope) realising it.
    I wonder, what is the range of behaviours that gets them on the register? Can you 'come off' the register after a period of blamlessness, like a Year 9 boy put on daily report? How many of the 900 represent a real threat?
    And of course... how many of the 900 will be teachers?

16. the hippo

SMT dude, we are wandering away from the question posed by the OP. Should he "come clean" and own up to his criminal convictions? Or should he try to hush the whole thing up?
    My guess is that any proper school in the Middle East is going to find out fairly sharpish, whereas there are plenty of second or third division schools that really cannot be bothered to do their homework properly. Taking up references is just too much bother and so they give jobs to Uncle Tom Cobbley and All. The schools where they chew the fat are notorious for employing all kinds of educational flotsam and jetsam. Josef Mengele and Myra Hindley are, I am sure, alive and well and teaching at a school in the Middle East.

17. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

You're right, hippo, so we are - you in your nice easy pachyderm style, and me like a demented Bonobo Monkey.
    I think the OP should come clean.
    Nope. Myra is with us.

18. the hippo

Well, that is a great relief to all. On the other hand, I am sure that some schools in the ME might be interested in employing her, if she were ever to get out.