1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CRB and Teaching

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by khughes1987, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

Ok, so I'm going into my third year at uni and need to start applying for pgces and what not, but Im getting a little worried about CRB checks. Over fours years ago, i had two cautions in theft, one was just a caution and the second was a conditional caution, both spent and were a year apart from each other. Ive been reading up on CRB and other forums with people with the same issue about this kind of stuff and am still really confused, need some solid advice. i know that on an advanced crb check, everything will come up, but because i was living at another residance at the time, im not too sure which residence i put down when i was getting cautioned, will the two cautions really matter that much nearly fives years on now, and will it stop me from getting onto the pgce track and getting a job in teaching in the end. i do realise that it does depend on the institution and its better to be upfront about all convictions when asked, however i need some advice because i dont want to waste my time getting on the pgce track if in the end, me being stupid five years ago at 19 is going to stop me from getting a job... I am looking at doing primary school teaching, can some one please help me!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, to be honest, it might.
    Not necessarily, but it might.
    As a Head I would ask several questions.
    1) Does this candidate constitute a risk to pupils or staff?
    2) Is this offense likely to recur?
    3) Does this offense play against the maintenance of good order in the school?
    4) If discovered, would it bring the school into disrepute, or cause concerns among pupils, staff or parents?
    I would suggest that you pre-empt this by devising a brief but clear statement of the facts that, in its way, answers these questions and thus reassures the Head. And have this in your application - either in the space on the form for it (some forms take into account this possibility, you'll be pleased to hear!) or by enclosing a sealed envelope with an application, FAO Headteacher. This is the accepted practice for this type of situation.
    So it can be got around, and people do get around it.
    I have employed people with convictions. I have advised in favour of employing people with convictions when acting as an Appointment Consultant, so it may not be the big thing that you fear.
    But you must come up front and be open about it. Hiding it can cause you to be dismissed immediately if it comes out later.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

3. Do cautions that were given when the individual was under 17 count on a CRB?

4. Thankyou for the advice...not too sure how confident I feel after...guess I just have to think my options through now...but thankyou

5. Yes. You may have heard differently, but they definitely do - I have two myself (I spoke to both the police, who were very difficult to deal with, and NACRO - see www.nacro.org.uk, who were very helpful). Best thing to do is be transparent, upfront and most of all be honest (a good letter explaining your offences is very worthwhile).