1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CRB Agency

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by almika, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am on a sabbatical from my job and have been abroad for 5 months. I have returned to the UK for 2 months and then am heading off again. I would like to work for a few weeks while I am home but have just found out that every agency I join requires me to have a seperate CRB! Even if they place me in a school in the same LEA that holds the copy of my CRB I have to have another CRB check. The agency I spoke to this morning told me that it could take a week to a month for the CRB to come through and it'll cost me £54.
    I am very surprised! This seems to me a bit of a scam and somewhere someone must be making money out of this! Does anyone know why you have to have different CRB checks for every agency and if there is anyway around it?!
    Thanks!

2. Hi,
    I am on a sabbatical from my job and have been abroad for 5 months. I have returned to the UK for 2 months and then am heading off again. I would like to work for a few weeks while I am home but have just found out that every agency I join requires me to have a seperate CRB! Even if they place me in a school in the same LEA that holds the copy of my CRB I have to have another CRB check. The agency I spoke to this morning told me that it could take a week to a month for the CRB to come through and it'll cost me £54.
    I am very surprised! This seems to me a bit of a scam and somewhere someone must be making money out of this! Does anyone know why you have to have different CRB checks for every agency and if there is anyway around it?!
    Thanks!

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

My CRB for supply (sent just before Christmas) cost £44.
    It took 2 weeks to come (excellent over Christmas I thought).

4. slippeddisc

Oh and the first agency you contact can do portability on your CRB so other agencies can use it.

5. HI, CRB's and supply are a scam, welcome to the scam. However if I were you I would try and make a judgement call on the agency most likely to get you some work and pay for a CRB with them. Then when the CRB is through and in your hands then go to other agencies and they will hopefully accept portability with the CRB.
    How long a CRB takes is different, sometimes quick and sometimes slow. Factors which make it slow is having a common name such as Bloggs, more searching and checking for the right Bloggs.
    Other issues, you have to provide your address (s) for the last five years. So if you have lived in another police authority other than your present one then it has to go to the different authorities to check on crimes and misdemeaners, so takes longer.
    I do not want to put you off your lunch, but if you have been residing abroad over the last five years I think it may provide more complications, however I am not expert on this issue.
    Forgive me for speculating, you may be glad to get back on the jet plane and go back abroad in a coupla months!
    Sorry for not sounding more upbeat!

6. slippeddisc

I have lived at 5 different addresses in the five year period and in 3 different authorities. Still took very little time, including xmas, new year and bank holidays.
    I vaguely remember something about having to get police clearance from where you lived. Check with the supply agency.

7. Great - thanks for that. The portability issue seems to depend on the agency so far!

8. Hi, Thanks for your message - interesting points you raised. You are right about being in a different country - I lived in India and New Zealand a few years ago before getting into teaching and had to contact both those countries authority to get clearance before!
    All is not what I thought it might be and I am thinking of approaching schools directly rather than going through agencies. Have any of you tried that?
    Portability of these CRBs seems to depend on the agencies. The problem is I am only wanting 4 weeks work and this all seems a bit of a headache and not reliable after the CRB business.

9. Along with the CRB which says "None Recorded" in all the boxes, the agency may also receive a letter from the Chief Constable recommending that the named person "should not, at this time, be employed to work with children and vulnerable adults." No reason is given.

10. The scam is getting worse. When I tried to use an existing CRB, which was only two months old, when joining a new agency, I was told that there would be a fee of £32 to get portability.