1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Crazy fast heart rate!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Frances1985, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have had a bit of a crazy Saturday morning. I posted about a week ago about pains in my back, wondering if they were related to my kidneys. Went to doctors on Monday, they did a urien test and found blood and white blood cells, diagnosed a UTI and sent me on my way with antibiotics.
    The pains never fully went but I had started to feel better until this morning when I woke up with pains shooting down my back. The doctor said to come back if this happened, so I did and they took my heart rate and blood pressure. Both were high, with my resting heart rate at 130bpm. My urine test came back clear, but the doctor said that the sticks weren't always 100% reliable so it has been sent for further tests and I have been given more antibiotics to clear up any residual infection.
    Concerned about my heart rate, they did a heart tracing then gave me a strong painkiller. I then had to wait half an hour to see if it had gone down. When it got re-tested, it was 130bpm again, despite having just sat for half an hour reading a magazine. I have to go back tomorrow for another check. They think it is my body's response to the back pain but aren't 100% sure. I'm not on here for a diagnosis, just a bit of support and would be interested to hear if anyone else had ever experienced a crazy heart rate like this. I have no diagnosed heart problems so it's all a bit surprising!
    Thanks for reading.

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

They wouldn't've let you go home if there was anything amiss - the heart tracing would indicate whether there was or not. Within reason, I don't think a fast heart rate is a cause for concern, especially given the other stuff that is going on with you. Irregularities, yes - they wouldn't let you go if the beat wasn't regular. A close friend has stuff like this going on - I've spent countless hours with her in hospital staring at her heart monitor. Hearts can be really really irregular!!! It's very disconcerting!!! But as soon as her heartbeat becomes stable, regardless of speed, then they let her go. Sometimes it does this by itself, sometimes she needs drugs.

3. Thanks mandala, that's reassuring. I have no other medical condition that I know of that would result in a fast heart rate. I'm also quite young and a healthy weight for my height (25 yrs old and just over 8 stone) so I can't blame old age or being overweight! They are probably right in saying it's linked to the back pain. Will wait and see what tomorrow holds.

4. Stress, even minor anxiety can bump up your blood pressure, and obviously the way the heart behaves. I was told never to chat during a BP test...as even that can up the result. The slight anticipation of a medical appt can make me slightly paniccy and the heart does beat faster. I was told this is perfectly normal.
    As Mandala mentioned, what the body is going through at any one time can play havoc with blood flow around the body. Sometimes it's a cause for concern but please rest-assured that if the medics felt your heart-beat was a problem they'd have you attached to machines straight away and be doing further heart-health tests.
    It took me a long time..years and years...to stop being an anxious person. Natural panic is understandable....we need the old fight or flight response, but do try not to worry too much. Your heart will thank you for it.
    (Do of course keep your doctor informed if this becomes a constant problem and you feel something is awry. )

5. TC7

TC7

If there was no sign of an infection then blood is not a good sign. Well depends how old you are? I am in my fifties. I had my cystoscopy on Thursday and they found a small growth so I have to have another under anaesthetic and have it removed and sent for biopsy, then apparently I will have to go back every three months for flexible Cystoscopy to check all is clear. I am so glad I had a second bleed otherwise I may have ignored the first as an infection but the test came back clear and the drs did not contact me to say otherwise. As to your heart rate stress can make it go up same with blood pressure also pain can increase it. I normally have low blood pressure but in hospitals, drs etc it goes up and I have have had to have it checked before they let me go home. White coat syndrome!. Best of luck.

6. I was about to ask if you are small framed - you obviously are. Do you know your resting HR?

Normal heart rate is 60 - 100 bpm AT REST, smaller women are much more likely to be at the higher scale - smaller body= smaller heart= higher heart rate.
    130 bpm is not that high, if you have an infection, are in pain or nervous your HR will increase.Your body reacts to heal itself, increasing your HR gets oxygen, nutrients and many chemicals your body needs towhere they are needed quicker.
    For a child 130bpm would be regarded as unremarkable.
    I was in A and E a couple of months back - my HR never went below 100 even though I was lying down most of the time.
    Did they mention what rhythm it was? If it's sinus rhythm (or SVT) then no need to worry.
    If you are concerned keep a diary of your HR ar different times - you will see it increases when the pain is bad as well as during exercise/

7. Well, it turns out I have a kidney stone! Currently on very strong painkillers and been told it will pass naturally (nice!). Pretty sure my crazy heart rate was linked to the pain, as it is definitely less noticeable when the painkillers have kicked in.
    S
    I was in A and E yesterday with the pain and I was the same. I am small though (size 6/8) and have gone under 8st as I have had no appetite for the past few days. Will be eating plenty during half term!