1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CPD

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by mikewhalley, May 25, 2019.

1. mikewhalley

mikewhalley New commenter

Hi . What’s the most commonly sought subject/topic for a teacher looking for CPD?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Can't say, I have never looked for it. Had loads imposed though.

3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Consider looking through the messages in the TES Professional Development forum to see which CPD topics crop up most or repost your own query there. My gut instinct is that teachers' CPD priorities will vary according to the sector in which they work (e.g. primary/secondary) or according to the stage they have reached in their careers.

As a young teacher in a secondary school in the 1970s, my personal priority was to increase my subject knowledge and my proficiency in deploying methods of teaching those subjects to the students in my charge. The CPD outcome for me was to study part time for a MA in German followed by a part-time research MEd on MFL teaching in what was then the German Democratic Republic. I also joined subject associations (Association for Language Learning and National Association for Special Educational Needs).

CPD also meant responding to change in educational practice such as special educational provision, new technology, assessment, reporting, record-keeping, classroom management, literacy development, differentiation and the like. Those personal priorities also tended to be whole-school, cross-curricular priorities, so the school itself provided the training wherewithal using in-house "experts" or outside speakers on what we used to call "Baker Days".

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Surely this should emerge from annual appraisal and consequent personal development plans, plus annual departmental review and development plans? The latter developed within the school's development plan, both short and long term?
    So I'm not sure what you are trying to find out?