1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CPD

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by catmother, Jun 29, 2011.

1. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Am I the only one who gets fed up with having to come up with fancy stuff (and fancy way of defining it) to put on the CPD review form? I've never worked harder in my whole teaching career but that's still not enough!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I do a lot of "professional reading".

3. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Lucky you,being able to put this down as CPD.

4. You can too, catmum. The GTCS says you can.
    A few years ago the GTCS mag had an article about what counts as CPD. As I recall, it included things like professional reading, either about teaching or about your subject, making visits to check out possible school trip destinations, supervising students on placements (for all that time you spend after school hand-holding, encouraging, explaining, etc etc), and---here's the biggie in terms of CfE--developing new courses.
    Using these criteria, I have counted as CPD a day-long visit to Stirling Castle and later, to a local museum (prior to taking my class there) and every minute I have spent working up new topics for CfE, including wide background reading in several areas of Scottish history (Picts, Bruce and Co, MQS, etc---I happen to love history! [​IMG])
    I'll see if I can find a link to that article---it was about four years ago, in the GTCS journal.

5. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I remember that too and researching on TES counts (like the research we do "discussing" on here with like-minded colleagues [​IMG])

6. This website has over 3600 15 minute videos from Teachers TV in the resources section. Watching, re-watching and mulling over just one of these per week takes an hour (according to my CPD file!) - so I calculate that there are enough videos there for 100 years of CPD [​IMG]
    Sometimes, I'm so keen I do two a week!

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

.....only 2 ? [​IMG]

8. I did a lot of "Familiarisation with GLOW" this year...

9. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

Its in the Standard for Full Registration too at section 2.4.1
    "Registered teachers convey an understanding of practice and general educational matters in their professional dialogue and communication."
    http://www.gtcs.org.uk/web/FILES/the-standards/standard-for-full-registration.pdf

Some folk call it "engaging in professional discourse".

10. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Aaawww gawd - you've just remined me I need to fill in the form I've been ignoring for two years! Would prob have got away with it if it wasn't for the fact we are due an inspection!

11. I used to find the CPD form relatively straightforward - and yes 'professional reading' is entirely legitimate.
    What used to get me were the departmental development plans with all that repetitive stuff about 'development tasks', 'outome criteria', 'evidence of criteria attained', 'future priorities' or some such. I forget the exact terminology but basically you had to find seven different ways of writing down the same thing.
    How on earth did we manage in the 'old days' to produce students with higher levels of attainment than now?

12. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis New commenter

The new GTCS council is to have 37 members, with 19 of them elected. It seems obvious if the burdens imposed are currently too great that teachers would elect representatives to the GTCS Council who would reduce those burdens.

13. More time teaching and less spent of figuring out what to write on forms?