1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CPD training in SEN

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Cherabell56, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Cherabell56

Cherabell56 New commenter

Hello,

I m hoping you can help. I have been asked to do a one hour training session with the teachers in my school on SEN. I have not been given a specific area, just a very broad remit of training them on techniques that could be used. I would be grateful if anybody could point me towards some resources that would save me reinventing the wheel.

Many thanks!

2. Cherabell56

Cherabell56 New commenter

Hello,

I m hoping you can help. I have been asked to do a one hour training session with the teachers in my school on SEN. I have not been given a specific area, just a very broad remit of training them on techniques that could be used. I would be grateful if anybody could point me towards some resources that would save me reinventing the wheel.

Many thanks!

3. I'm presuming you are training mainstream teachers? I teach in a PMLD school and have run an Outreach service. It is a very broad remit, if possible I would ask your line manager to be more specific in the area he or she would like you to provide the training in. I would also suggest asking the teachers what they feel would be most useful, what support do they need?
    What are the general needs of your SEN pupil's? If you can be a little more specific I may be able to suggest some ideas.
    Here are the basics, use clear simple language when talking to pupils (two or three word sentences), clear structure and routine, three short activities that can be planned easily into MTP's some of which should be practical, repetition, giving pupil's time to process and respond to information given to them (it takes SEN pupils a lot longer to process information), differentiated questioning at an appropriate level to the individual pupil throughout lessons and use the Early Years Foundation Stage for activity, planning and asssessment ideas. When setting IEP targets no more than four, suggested key areas for IEP's communication (Literacy), learning and PSHE.
    Apologies if this isn't much help. A lot of what I have suggested is common sense and gained through experience. [​IMG]

4. There is a website at www.schoolwork.bz which is used with children in the age range 8 to 14 who have significant reading deficits. One of the resources is a library which even the most vulnerable readers can use without adult assistance or intervention. After the session, a printout is produced which the child can read to an adult routinely, with the expectation of making few if any errorrs.
    If you decide to take a look, the entry code is nor789ty
    The site is free. If you have any questions about its impact on children with special needs, its research background, results etc just ask.
    There are also dictation exercises which mainstream teachers can use with children with very poor literacy skills. The advantage to such children over conventional dictation is that the programme allows each child to work at his or her own individual pace and a very user friendly 'Spelling Helper' is available on screen.This facility ensures that vulnerable spellers can get lots of practice at spelling words correctly rather than practice at spelling them wrongly which is very difficult to dislodge.
    I hope this helps.

5. 1. OASSIS leaflets (Dyslexia, ASD... etc)
    2. I-CAN dos & don'ts (although you may have to hunt around for them)
    3. NASEN (having first attended a brace of their tailored seminars)