1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CPD Leader needs help

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by DJ_Skoolio, May 11, 2011.

1. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">Hello
    I have recently been put in charge of CPD and performance management. My school has had nothing in place for the past few years and I'm starting from scratch. I have little previous experience and would really like to exchange ideas and ask for advice from some more experienced professionals.
    If you're interested and don't mind giving your time to answering my questions and giving me feedback on what I'm trying to do via email, let me know...
    I would be so very grateful
    Skoolio
    </td></tr></table>

2. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

My advice, read your most recent Ofsted report with a highlighter pen, make sure that you are aware of any key issues that staff need training on: Eg: Outstanding lessons, managing data, challenging the more able, etc. You need to plan to address these.
    Find out how your school manages the cpd budget, ie: do you control it and people bid for things or do you devolve it to departments. You need to make sure either way it has impact, it is spent well.
    Ask some staff or set a questionnaire about cpd and what their views are.
    Draw up action plan for your year, share and discuss with team leader.
    There is a magazine 'cpd update' for your role I think you can subscribe or request a free copy it has ideas about in school and doing own training.
    Companies like Osiris Education and Lighthouse (check out that websites) have cpd advisers and who will arrange in school inset. Ring them to see what they can offer. But think carefully about priorities before booking anything.
    Start a staff cpd library of latest Teaching and Learning reads. see: Teachers Pocket Books, Crown House Publishing, Amazon for ideas.
    But first of all, see what the need its [​IMG]