1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CPD courses

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by Ally3302, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Ally3302

Ally3302 New commenter

I am a returning teacher (break for 4 years) and wondered if anywhere provides courses for curriculum refresher etc. I've searched the local universities but can only find the PGDE. I need to get some relevant courses to improve my chances for job apps.

2. Ally3302

Ally3302 New commenter

I am a returning teacher (break for 4 years) and wondered if anywhere provides courses for curriculum refresher etc. I've searched the local universities but can only find the PGDE. I need to get some relevant courses to improve my chances for job apps.

3. HI

Where about are you based? The link below is for Moray House, it is already half way through and not sure when they repeat it

http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.53320!fileManager/RTT-CourseBookingForm-2012.pdf

I run active maths workshops in Edinburgh on a range of topics if that is of any interest, will be posting new dates soon for summer courses and next term. www.activelearninginmaths.co.uk or email me on amy@activelearninginmaths.co.uk if you want to find out more.

4. miss freckle

miss freckle New commenter

I did the Moray House course Active Maths has linked but a few years ago, a couple of years before CfE really hit secondaries.
    I had had a longer break and had trained in England so really felt I needed something like this on my CV. The course then only ran once a year, from April, and was in the evening. I'm not based in Edinburgh but oddly Glasgow don't offer anything similar (or didn't then). I did feel that I gained confidence, an awareness of recent changes and some subject specifics, although, as with all CPD aimed at a wide audience, I didn't feel all the sessions were relevant to my situation. I'm assuming the course has been significantly adapted now that CfE is now entering its 3rd year at secondary schools.
    You may not be able to wait another year, but if you can then I'd say go for it.

5. TBH a refresher course wouldn't be worth your time. I know this as I've been in temp posts for the last 4 years and CPD courses seem to come and go whenever I finish one post and move to the other because of the school and its time commitments. Much better to use SQA/CfE documents as they appear in their first/second drafts and follow up research based on your own findings.

Check with your authority- I know Edinburgh have a lot of CPD courses and you could contact HR to ask if you could attend the CPD courses. Argyll and Bute don't have the money, thus don't have the time to organise proper CPD.

Another alternative is to go to your nearest secondary school and just ask SMT if you could come in to see what is being done at CPD level, or at the very least on development days, inservice etc, or just ask staff.

6. The course then only ran once a year, from April, and was in the
    evening. I'm not based in Edinburgh but oddly Glasgow don't offer
    anything similar (or didn't then).[​IMG]

7. Not to mention that unless a firm line on what is taught has been laid down by heads of department - which, ironically goes against Keir Bloomer's intentions with CfE - you'll have as many answers on what CfE is for a particular subject as there are teachers in the school...