1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CPD courses without school support

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by nimmity, Apr 7, 2011.

1. I'm in my 6th year of teaching and feel that I've lost a lot of my motivation and energy which used to make me a good teacher. I really want to go on a course which will hopefully re-inspire me to continue working hard for my students and remind of of some of the good practice I used to use but have let slip.
    Unfortunately my school will not release me for the course (too many people want to go on courses) so I cannot attend during term time.
    Does anyone know of an organisation that runs courses during the holidays for those teachers who can't get time off but still want to learn?

2. Dodros

Dodros Established commenter

Do you belong to a subject teaching association? If so, it may have an annual conference, typically during the Easter holidays. I attended several inspiring annual conference of the Association for Language Learning and presented at a couple of them, all without involving my school. I also obtained two master's degrees through part-time study, completing all the assignments and the classes outside school hours. Later I combined my love of travel with my determination to keep abreast of teaching and learning issues by presenting papers at agreeable foreign venues, including Canada, Hungary and Japan. I did not seek funding from my school to participate in these events, but I did let my line manager know about them at performance management meetings to demonstrate that I was proactive about professional development.