1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cpd - counselling level 2

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by cys2017, Aug 28, 2018.

1. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Hi

I have a pgce and degree in childhood and youth studies. However, a level 2 counselling course has been offered free of charge to me which I can submit online when they post me the work book. I was just wondering if this is something that would be recognised as good as I’m doing it at level 2 even though I have a degree to do with children and young people?

Has anyone lose done stuff like this?

Thanks
    Cys2017

2. theschoolcounsellor

theschoolcounsellor New commenter

Hi, some teaching colleagues at the school in which I work have done this course. It is at a very basic level and in my view would not be the equivalent of a taught Level 2 counselling course at a college or university.

However, it may be interesting and a good introduction to counselling skills. It in no way qualifies anyone to work as a counsellor - but it may be an acceptable way to gain access to a Level 3 course, which is required to progress to the Level 4, qualifying diploma.

Nothing to lose in doing it if it's free and you may enjoy it.

Flanks and cys2017 like this.
  3. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Thanks for your comment

4. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I hold a counselling diploma and took a level 2 practical college course before it. I personally don’t think it will be much use to you as a teacher apart from some practical elements.

I feel there would be a crossover of professional boundaries if you try to counsel a student in your Teaching capacity.

You could perhaps use some skills of counselling and the theory behind it for better understanding though.