1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CPD and supply teachers

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by j.craigie, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Hi, I've been a supply teacher now for nearly 2 years having given up a permanent post due to 'stress'. I am now looking for permanent positions, but nearly all state that you need to have done some professional development over the last 2 years so I am at a big disadvantage as I've got none. Any ideas. I do get invited to occasional courses through my agencies but they are always on things that don't apply to me i.e. 'interactive whiteboards for beginners' - I've been using promethean for around 6 years and have reasonable experience with smart so it seemed pointless to attend. I have been keeping up to date with current issues by using the internet but I have no evidence of this!
    All ideas gratefully recvieved.
    JoC

2. If you get in any schools regularly maybe ask them if you can attend any CPD staff meetings they hold, voluntarily.

I guess it depends on what subject/age phase you are. www.musicleader.net offer free/low cost and subsidised music training workshops around the country if you register with them. There may be other places who do the same.

I am considering volunteering an afternoon at a local SEN school to get experience as I have an interest in working with SEN but no experience outside of mainstream.

3. Thanks for this, I do go into a couple of schools regularly so I'll ask them if I can join in with CPD.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Evening classes at local 6th Form college? Obviously they cost money, but they can lead to recognised qualifications.

5. Wrote a long (hopefully helpful!) reply but computer rebooted!
    The nutshell version is:
    Find CPD opportunities of your own and go - there is some cost involved but when on supply so able to have time to go it is well worth it. I have my best CPD from periods of time on supply and have therefore never had any issues about the times I've been out of permanent work.
    I have no idea of your age range or subject so this may not all be directly relevant but hopefully you'll find the general ideas and sources useful:
    Try your union - the NUT offers actually a really good range of free / cheap CPD in various parts of the country and in lots of different things).
    Try subject associations (the historical association has lots of free / cheap opportunities as well as lots of very expensive ones for example.) Many also have local branches where you can get involved cheaply and sometimes for free / a few pounds.
    Try government bodies (e.g. the HET and HEDP run incredibly good and completely free CPD for holocaust education... some bodies look at internationalism and global links etc).
    Also try large libraries and museums - often have good programmes.
    Modules at uni - some are very expensive but the MA (ed) modules at my local uni are about £120 per term for trained teachers so 30 hours training and masters credits - excellent CPD and great on CV. )
    It takes work to find the free /cheap opportunities amongst the horrendously expensive ones, and you need to be prepared to spend some money getting to places etc, but the CPD I have done whilst on supply means I have lots more CPD than many, as I have had more freedom to do it.

6. ha ha sorry that's not really nutshell! Hope something is useful, though

7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Professional development is a wide remit and could include many transferable skills such as: IT skills, counselling, British Sign Language, Matakon or First Aid at Work.
    You might find such course being run at a local college as night classes.
    There is also the Open University, but that can be expensive.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Go on the courses about whiteboards etc even if you don't actually need the training. You'll get a certificate, can tick the box (which is all that management seem concerned about these days) and can make a statement on applications that you make use of your full entitlement of CPD via your employers.