1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CPD and cover costs being charged to my department

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Halogen, Feb 5, 2011.

1. I was wondering if it was usual for departments to be charged for CPD and cover costs?

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Not cover, but we have a section in our budget for CPD.

3. I do not have an allocated CPD budget and cover is charged to my department if a member of staff is out on a trip/course. I have also contacted similar sized departments to find out what yearly capitation they receive and am under by nearly £2000.

4. When I worked at a training school it came out if the capitation. 10% had be shown to be spent on training. I don't think that included the cover though, but you had to use light cover days...

5. We have a CPD budget and staff are 'allowed' one course a year (as far the budget goes) Cover comes from the cover budget. I've managed to wangle the NATE conference as well as it happens int he hols, has no cover implications and I offered to pay half the fee from the English budget - but this is not our normal practice.

6. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

My department doesn't get charges for either the course or the cover...but courses that have a fee attached are often (usually) turned down, with the response that 'internal training will be provided'. Exam board courses for new specs are usually granted though.
    It certainly wouldn't be fair to charge the department budget if you didn't have the final say on which courses were allowed!
    Mark

7. Maybe you should post this query on the SMT board to see their response?[​IMG] It might highlight if it is common practice?