1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cows rock!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marymoocow, Dec 9, 2015.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Sorry for the source of the article, the Daily Fail but....

"On the outskirts of the village of Great Salkeld, Cumbria, a farmer has spoken of the moment he watched in horror as his entire herd of 45 cattle were swept up in the raging flood water that struck his farm.

He feared all of them would drown but, incredibly, 41 have been returned to him - two having survived being washed over a waterfall.

And in an equally bizarre twist, a pregnant cow was found safe and well munching grass on the green of a golf course 20 miles away.

The cow was apparently unharmed after being carried 20 miles down the River Eden. It was discovered placidly munching grass on the fairway at the edge of one of the greens at Carlisle Gold Course."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ds-aftermath-Storm-Desmond.html#ixzz3tqMgx4tz
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I don't know much about golf but isn't the green the bit near the hole? The cow wouldn't find much grass to munch there.

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

A heartening tale amidst so much devastation.

kibosh likes this.
  6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

www.cowdance.com/discow.
    The story also featured on the BBC.
    A positive news item for a change.
    This not the BBC link.

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Cows rock!

But be careful
    If you rock them too hard they tip

8. grumpydogwoman

upload_2015-12-9_21-27-34.png

I luvs cows I does.

9. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

Warning, happy/ sad image below - look away now if sensitive :( A herd of cattle survived by gathering on an oasis in the midst of the flooded Eden flood plain. Sadly some of the herd didn't make it to safety :(

sketch-1449696652863.jpg

10. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

That's a gorgeous story, Marymoocow :)

11. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Which reminds me of a story someone showed me recently, given that my two 'coo's' are escape artists. Absolutely brilliant. Hope link works!

cissy3 likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

Fun factoid.

I had bovine TB when I was 5. (Our herd wasn't yet TT.)

13. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

What a lovely story, Mary. Cows can be fairly resilient creatures though.

I actually love cows (people laugh when I say that, but it's true!).My dad (not a farmer but a vet) hobby-bred a little pedigree Jersey herd, some years ago. I could stand and watch them for hours, so relaxing! I was fascinated by those large, liquid eyes, In addition, I can say the bull was one of the most handsome animals I've ever seen!

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

See clever too motherofchikkins. It is strange how I like cows seeing as I had a big fear of bulls as a child and had a reoccurring dream about being chased by bulls for years. My favourite farm yard animal though has to be Rams with their beautiful huge heads.