1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cows' milk

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Tangit, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Hi, ds1 is now 5 so babyhood seems an eternity ago sometimes and there are lots of things that have changed or I can't remember. I read that you should only give cows milk once they're over 1 but my son was definitely eating yoghurt, cheese, mash with milk etc well before 1 year. Why shouldn't they drink it? Is it because it's low in iron? If so, can't you just make sure theyre getting iron from other sources in their diet?

2. Cow's milk should not be the *main* source of milk before 12 months because it is not nutritionally complete enough. It can be given as cheese/yoghurt etc because that's not intended to replace a milk feed. We don't give cow's milk at all (LO 16 months)

3. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

They shouldn't have cow's milk as a drink - should continue with formula or breastmilk, but can have cow's milk in cooking, on cereal etc, and can have yogurt, cheese etc too - just use full fat x