1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

COVIDIOTS!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Apr 5, 2020.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

COVIDIOTS! Everyone got their washing out and the **** 4 doors down decides to have a bonfire! When asked to put it out threw more rubbish on! I'd be happy to break social distancing rules chinning him!

Shedman, bevdex, knitone and 7 others like this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's Sunday. It's what people do.
    You have plenty of time to do the washing afresh.
    By hand if you're that bored.
    What is really poor show is people going out and about.
    Meaning pretty soon nobody will be allowed to.
    Bugs me.
    Time for a Quarantino reading

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'd be much more concerned about people taking unnecessary trips, going out and about failing to observe social distancing, and flouting rules while pushing the boundaries of the guidelines. Bonfires in terms of antisocial behaviour are small fry.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I've just taken a whole load of photos from the attic window of the bonfire over our hedge. I want to paint it.

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Ooh!! If you do will you show it here please?

6. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

I'm sure I've read that bonfires were not to be lit in the current climate due to a possibility of exacerbating breathing difficulties. Might have been a dream.

7. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Haven't you heard? The local rubbish tips are all closed. Surely you cant expect your neighbour to hold onto his rubbish till the bin lorry comes in a couple of days time?

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It was a dream :)

There is no official government advice saying this.

There are always people complaining about bonfires. No doubt some of them and some local politicians have tried to hitch their complaints to coronavirus.

TheoGriff likes this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I probably won't do that, haha, BUT, here is a lovely painting of a bonfire by David Inshaw. Much better than anything I would do:

[​IMG]

10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Very surprised that posters are condoning the lighting of bonfires during the day when people will want to at least enjoy their garden, since they are limited in being able to get out and about. Selfish behaviour and totally inconsiderate.
    Here the air pollution levels are higher than usual due to bonfires and pollution blowing over from Europe.
    If people must have a bonfire, they should at least wait until the evening.

11. Flowersinspring

Thanks for that. :)

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm not condoning it. It's just that the thread title was linked to coronavirus which prompted my comment that in the context of that alone I think other matters are more important.

ETA yes it would be considerate to wait until the evening.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. Flowersinspring

That looks very sarcastic-it isn't!

Rott Weiler likes this.
  14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have my incinerator loaded for a burn, but I looked around the gardens to see if anyone has washing out before lighting it. I usually do not light it when it is this windy either, so it will have to wait. I was going to give it the torch last night but next door had left washing out. I realise that some people (a surprising number of people) have routines that they probably follow even in these odd circumstances. "Washing day" often used to be Monday (it was for my mother), shopping day was saturday (which is why supermarkets are clogged up with old folks on saturdays).

border_walker likes this.
  15. martin thiselton

martin thiselton New commenter

The messages are from individual fire stations recommending against it.

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

They've suspended the brown bin collection round here and the tips are shut. I've no objection to bonfires under the circs but yes, they should wait until evening.

afterdark likes this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

London Fire Brigade, the largest in the country, has said nothing about bonfires and coronavirus.

18. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

With flame proof paint?

19. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Matt Hancock now saying that if the eejits who can’t exercise sensibly (eg not picnicking in the Park, sunbathing, playing football, having BBQs), then exercise will be banned for all. This will be extremely frustrating. For many, it is the only bit of sanity in the day.
    I think that they should get the water cannons out of mothballs, drive them to the parks and take no prisoners.

20. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Wow!!

bombaysapphire and coffeekid like this.