1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covid19 and Lockdown

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Apr 6, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

It’s too early to know how long the lockdown will go on for. How do you think the UK is coping and what are your thoughts on the strategies so far?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I guess we are coping as well as anybody. Not great, but we are not falling apart, either.

Govt so far 7/10

we needed to have hand sanitiser rationed weeks earlier, I think. And we should have been far more prepared with PPE. I don't understand why we didn't have stores ready for a pandemic. Its not exactly unlikely that we would need it at some stage, and its not like the equipment goes out of date, most of it.

But lock down implemented well, and upheld well,, I would say, not to heavy handed, or too laissez faire. The right balance

What do you think @install?

agathamorse and install like this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I was alarmed to hear on the six o'clock news some police chief (I didn't catch who) saying that there are some British citizens who are determined not to be told that they must stay at home.

If this is true, I think the only answer has to be naming and shaming, and some very high profile court cases with swingeing fines or imprisonment to provide examples to such people.

High temperatures in the South East on Wednesday will prove to be an acid test.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

A friend who works for a firm with many employees in Asia, where lock downs started earlier than here, told me that their experience has been that the first 2 weeks of lock down have gone fairly well, but at around the 4 week mark there have been increasing issues within some homes, incl. domestic violence and mental health issues.

5. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Seen it in supermarket queues, not staying apart, moaning about having to queue. Not seen it but some have become aggressive. But it is rare.

install likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

Thank you.

Imho I think the Government are doing a good job. I’d also give them 7/10.

The Govt not finding the NHS has proven to be a stumbling block imo despite all the fantastic work that our nurses, doctors and everyone is doing. We do have a great NHS but I think it needs to change in that it needs a huge influx of staff, beds, Doctors and so on. It’s early days but Germany looks to have better systems.

Also we clearly need to look ahead far more. After this virus, I don’t doubt there will be more.

Sally006 likes this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The law currently in force doesn't allow that. Not unless they keep refusing to pay Fixed Penalty Notices.

install likes this.
  8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Maybe like this?

Shocking moment shopper threatens to 'knock out' woman for not keeping a 6ft social distancing gap in queue outside Sainsbury's during coronavirus lockdown
    • Angry shopper shouts at the woman for allegedly flouting social distancing rules
    • He continues to look back and threaten the woman as she argues back to him
    • Footage believed to have been filmed outside Sainsbury's in London on April 4
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...an-not-keeping-6ft-social-distancing-gap.html

9. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

My son went shopping for me last week. The shop has a one way system in place. He was shouted at and pushed past by a couple not following the arrows and not staying 2m apart. I hope he doesn't get infected from their stupid and irresponsible behaviour when he was trying to do the right thing. People who flaunt the rules make me very cross. I'm not even sure why they were there as a couple-it's supposed to be one family member only.

Sally006, agathamorse, Lidnod and 2 others like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Was that the rule of that particular supermarket chain? If so security shouldn't have let them both in.

But it isn't part of the government's law or guidance. It isn't mentioned in the PM's letter I got today either.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Apart from the instances frequently in the news of people not comprehending what a lockdown and social distancing means, my impression has been that the general public has been coping quite well. It's only a small proportion of the public who aren't following the rules.

I've been impressed by how supermarkets are now organising social distancing measures and managing their stores and impressed by how my employer has been clued up enough to have been organising contingency plans since January, however it is obliged to follow government and PHE advice, which sadly has been drip fed, with the consequence that plans worked on in January have needed to be amended daily.

For those of us tasked with ensuring the welfare of the most vulnerable group susceptible to threat from Covid-19, it's exhausting trying to keep up with the latest advice, let alone try to keep our residents updated and safe, while ensuring social distancing rules are maintained. I get the impression that those making up the rules and giving advice have never stepped foot in sheltered housing estates. In the main, my residents have accepted what needs to be done, but since most of them live alone, social distancing is particularly tough on them.

Part of my responibility is to regularly update the contingency plans for a major event such as a fire making the estate uninhabitable. Basically this details what happens to the residents when they've been evacuated, who needs to be contacted, where they will find short-term shelter and long-term accommodation, how to get them transported fed and clothed etc. etc. etc. Of course now that hotels and community centres have been told to close, maybe taxi firms reducing the number of drivers they employ, these plans have needed to be revisited.

To be frank, I'm staggered that central government appears to be doing this on the hoof, rather than having a contingency plan in place that would immediately spring into action. Much of the stuff required to be done is reliant on local government, but having been consistently pruned back to the bone, what chance is there of that being done as well as we hope it might?

In measuring how well the government is dealing with the current situation, it isn't only about how quickly they can get field hospitals and morgues built. The bigger picture of what's been going on since 2010 has to be taken into consideration.

12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

After seeing daily news reports about the new Nightingale Hospital, it now seems to have dropped off the radar. According to what I read, it's ready for patients but not needed yet as other ICUs are only at 70% capacity. Is this good news? Or should we be sending all COVID patients to the Nightingale? I don't know the answer.

border_walker and install like this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

According to yahoo.com:

‘ Coronavirus: UK COVID-19 deaths rise by 439 to 5,373
    Will Taylor
    Yahoo News UK6 April 2020, 16:33 BS

The number of deaths of patients infected with the coronavirus in the UK has risen to 5,373, a rise of 439 from 4,934 recorded yesterday.

That is the lowest daily rise in deaths since March 31.

Cases recorded also continue to rise, with a total of 51,608 confirmed today – an increase of 3,802 from 47,806 on Sunday.

The real number of cases is expected to be much higher because there are limits to how many people the government can test in a day.

The case figures are accurate to 9am today and the number of deaths cover the 24 hours up to 5pm on Sunday.

There is a possibility that the outbreak could peak next weekend in the UK.

Worldwide, there are more than 1.2 million confirmed cases, with over 70,000 deaths and 270,000 recoveries according to Johns Hopkins University data.

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Oh STOP IT or else this thread will be locked as well!

I think the Govt are doing a pretty good job under extreme circumstances. Hindsight is always great, but useless, so forget it.
    Daily (quoted) death rates have fallen the last 2 days, which is encouraging as they could have got a lot worse, but no reason to become sloppy and think we can start to return to normal.
    We have a PM in hospital, amid much criticism and many nasty comments from people on these boards. He didn't ask for this pandemic, he didn't buy into this and he certainly didn't ask to be ill. I suspect part of the reason he's in hospital is that he is working too hard whilst sick.
    We cannot, necessarily, compare how we are doing with most other countries, as our health system, poulation demographics, social interaction and probably even data collection are very different.
    Staying at home and social distancing will help, but there is no cure, no magic wand, no exit strategy as yet, because we know not when or how we may be able safely to come out of this.
    But I am confident our government and all the UK's scientific and medical advisers will have this in hand, and we will come out of this, hopefully as unscathed as is possible when dealing with a highly contagious and unpredicatable virus.

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I was reading an article in the New Statesman the other day about pandemic modelling going back to 2009 and the Labour government. Envisioning a pandemic on the scale of this current one, the only measures foreseen were letting it run its course: an acknowledgement that the NHS would not be able to cope and that building herd immunity would be the only way forward. The current government were running this same playbook until early March. It's not so much negligence as an open acknowledgement that we would struggle to cope. It appears to be only when faced with the actuality of the situation that the Government has deemed it necessary to act to protect the NHS from catastrophe.
    So what I am saying is that Labour were not planning anything different (mitigation rather than suppression) and were expecting the NHS not to be able to cope.

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

PM now in Intensive Care..................

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The PM is now in intensive care.

Why don't you just shut up and take your bloody political tribalism and your venom elsewhere?

18. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Oh my goodness. I do hope he pulls through this!

19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

There was a similar incident in our local Tesco Express on Friday. It ended with blood everywhere. As a response to being worried about maintaining social distancing, it seems pretty dumb to cover yourself in someone else's blood.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

:(:(:(

I hope he pulls through.