1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covid Toes - Really?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, May 14, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

This a new one by me. Anyone come across it?

‘NEW YORK - Dr. Lindy Fox, a dermatologist, said her practice is seeing "many, many patients" with toes and fingers turning purple and pink, a symptom now being linked to COVID-19.

...."They're usually teenagers or young adults that had absolutely no symptoms of COVID at all," said Dr. Raman Madan, a dermatologist at Northwell Health Huntington Hospital on Long Island....

"People are breaking out in hives, red blotches all over their body and even developing rashes that look like chickenpox," he said.

...The COVID toes condition tends to go away on its own within about a week and you will not have long-term damage to your skin, doctors said. But if you do get this symptom, you should call your doctor and get tested for COVID-19 as well as the antibody test.’

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

An overactive auto immune system? That's what consultant dermatologists will say when faced with post viral angioedema and urticaria.

Edit - oh and no cure or specific cause just multiple antihistamines... the USA seem to take it more seriously in terms of treatments though you pay rather more for that privilege.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    install likes this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It was a news item a few weeks ago, but I must admit I didn't read it.

sodalime and install like this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I think it's a severe autoimmune response like that unblanchable rash that comes with meningitis.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

People. Not actually many people.

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Only those who might have suffered from one or more of the conditions I expect, as someone who does (since a severe infection over a decade ago), it can be unpredictable, persistent and really really painful/debilitating... that said, sometimes we will just be grateful to have survived.