1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

COVID CATCH-UP FUND

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mms1, Oct 11, 2020.

1. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

How are spending the fund? I won't spend it on tuition/booster groups as my school risk assessment describes avoiding use of agency staff/non contracted staff unless absolutely necessary as using supply that work across other sites would in effect raise the risk of cross transmission.

Any ideas would be appreciated as this will no doubt be another stick to beat us with!

2. install

install Star commenter

I’m not an HT, but I work with HTs. I’ve got the impression the funding hasn’t arrived yet in many schools?

3. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

We've had our first amount through last week..and have managed to employ a retired teacher who is working solely for us..that was the only way I was prepared to do it...

Pomza and strawbs like this.
  4. Thorntonsj

Thorntonsj New commenter

That's funding a teacher, whilst designating them a '1:1 tutor.' This practice should be halted. Instead, inviting teachers, however creatively designated, to form a mandatory part of the operational budget of the school.

Surely not what was envisioned, or funded by, the 'professional tuition,' aspect of the catch-up funding? Contentious! Especially, as the school is also to be allocated, a 'academic mentor,' who will work solely in your school. How is anything extra to be added? The transformative nature of a 'fresh pair of eyes,' and 'skilled, individual advocate,' for your students, is to be denied them. Whilst, synonymously being funded by every hard-working taxpayer. I'm speechless!

Good luck with the creative accounting. I think you'll need it...

5. install

install Star commenter

One does wonder if bits of the Covid money will end up in the pockets of some dodgy hts and some distant CEOs or even be shifted quickly to pay off school debts on the quiet. Shhh.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  6. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

That wasn't the exchange of thoughts I was hoping for...

Pomza and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Look for Gaps in learning - decide what needs to be done to fix those gaps. Some students may have been impacted more than others eg disadvantaged , SEN , those with no reading support at home.

Ask your staff where the gaps are and to put a bid in with a narrative for the money.

digoryvenn likes this.
  8. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Our staff have just completed a 'needs analysis' of those children who are still quite behind despite intensive in- class support over the last 7 weeks. We're focusing initially on the children who we thought were secure at their 'level' back in March, but are not any more..and these classes are then being allocated additional weekly teacher time [ the retired teacher I've managed to appoint ] for the class teacher to use as they see best for those children...whether it be 1:1 or small focused group work..

9. Thorntonsj

Thorntonsj New commenter

As an idealist, who was truly excited at supporting our professional teams, in State Schools, with my own 20 years of experience, now, I think I may have to bow to the extra age and experience of our SLT, on this issue.

Not because there aren't amazing Tuition Schools - there are - but because this doesn't appear to be what will be offered to State Schools, via this route. Warning! Do make your own arrangements, if you can, legally.

All my best wishes, at this time.