1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccine - don't hold your breath

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Sep 28, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/cor...-delayed-two-years-logistical-failings-663995

"The mass rollout of a Covid-19 vaccine in the UK could be delayed for two years by the Government’s failure to get to grips with the supply chain requirements needed to ensure everyone can be immunised, experts claim.

Elements vital to the success of the vaccination process are in short supply, including medical-grade glass vials to store the vaccine, refrigerated lorries and aircraft to transport it, PPE when administering it, and even pallets to pack the potential cure, according to those working in the logistics and medical sectors."

At least we'll be in safe hands when it comes to Brexit. Nothing could possibly go wrong there...

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I really doubt there is a shortage of aircraft.

3. modelmaker

There's a shortage of trade deals though. Pyrex used to make the borosilicate glass needed for the vials in Sunderland, but production moved to France in 2007.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

There's a vaccine?

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Refrigerated aircraft?

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well! Imagine my surprise!

7. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

There seems to be only one certainty which is, if the Johnson Clusterf**k Omnishambles is still in office, that the mass immunisation programme which should follow the development of a safe vaccine will be a complete and utter nonsense. At the same time, there will be plentiful supplies for all MPs, the senior civil service and their assorted hangers on.

8. LondonCanary

Actually, I don't see why it can't go by road.
    (Generalised scare story)

Oscillatingass and nomad like this.
  9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Is this thread currently hypothetical or have they discovered a vaccine that cannot be replicated and/or administered due to a poor supply chain and distribution channel?

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It will take at least two years to discover the side effects of the vaccine. Good luck to the early volunteers, they will need it if GSK, Gates etc are involved.

Nellyfuf2 likes this.
  11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

A couple of weeks ago, I heard Sarah Gilbert on "The Life Scientific" on Radio 4. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000mj18
    She is the lady who is in charge of the vaccine development in Oxford, which seems to be doing pretty well. She was a very impressive lady and the programme left me feeling heartened. She said (as I recall) that the vaccine was very close to being ready and that a million doses were already made and ready to roll out, with many, many more being made and stored daily.
    Is it possible that she might have been correct?

Oscillatingass and nomad like this.
  12. modelmaker

It's possible, but see post #7.

13. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Teachers might get it fairly quickly, if they want schools open safely. Or do they?

border_walker likes this.
  14. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

Why should teachers get it? Don't you know that coronavirus can't go into schools?

christubbs likes this.
  15. LondonCanary

I'm sure it will be voluntary and you will be able to opt out.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  16. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

By August, orders had been placed for 340M doses.
    Assume package of each is 2cm X 2cm X 5 cm. That works out at about 200 shipping containers brim-full, assuming no external packaging. Doesn't look like an impossible distribution task, even when split into smaller batches for delivery to hospital, surgery or wherever: logistics companies will have expertise and capacity, I would expect.

nomad likes this.
  17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Expect nothing. Disappointment is then less likely.

18. modelmaker

Part of the problem is that every country will be crying out for the vaccine. There aren't many companies that are capable of producing the vials. This explains. https://inews.co.uk/news/coronaviru...-glass-factory-ensure-vaccine-supplies-663651

Had we remained a member of the EU, we would have been able to exert greater influence in securing stocks for the UK, but that sort of thinking is too sensible to contemplate.

"A leading glass expert has told i Whitehall officials have commissioned a study ahead of a meeting this week to discuss if Britain once again needs “sovereignty” over production – with at least 120 million vials needed to give every Briton a coronavirus jab and booster.

But if ministers decide to build a new factory, it could take 18 months to get it through the planning system and into production.

Mr Dalton said: “We’re doing a lot of work obviously in the UK on creating a vaccine, on but that would be no good if we couldn’t fill ampules and deliver it.

“Like a lot of things in the Covid-19 crisis, you solve one problem only to find that across the whole delivery infrastructure, the bottleneck is somewhere that we haven’t really foreseen."

What's the betting that any land where a factory could be built gets snapped up to be used as as a lorry park?

19. LondonCanary

Hm a state owned ampule manufacturing facility. Unlikely. to happen,