1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccination

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DrLinus, Sep 24, 2020.

?

Will you accept a vaccination for Covid-19?

1. Yes, I trust that my government is not engaged in disaster capitalism

17.4%
  2. Yes, there is no other choice

60.9%
  3. No, an effective and safe vaccine seems unlikely so soon

13.0%
  4. No, I will improve my resistance & vulnerability to infections via dietary & other lifestyle changes

21.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

I am not at all keen about receiving one of these early generations of covid-19 vaccinations.
    The likelihood of iatrogenic complications seems high.
    We have already seen government money being doled out to the companies of Cabinet cronies during this "pandemic", to no good public effect, and there is no indication that this trend will end anytime soon.
    I certainly will not trust anything offered by the country where this virus originated.
    I especially dislike the idea, floated by the Welsh Health Minister, of mandatory vaccinations.
    Bad precedent.

Health Minister 'would not rule out' introducing mandatory coronavirus vaccine scheme in Wales
    https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020...mandatory-coronavirus-vaccine-scheme-in-wales

Please respond to the above poll, thanks, and consider posting a list of any other vaccinations you have taken up as an adult.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Vaccine trials are in progress on several candidate vaccines. Initial trials deal only with safety; it's only at a later stage that efficacy is investigated. Once the data is assembled then decisions can be made. Compared with the vast number of people vaccinated against a wide variety of diseases, and the impressive protection provided, and the complete elimination of one disease from the world, and the near- complete elimination of another, the risks are trivial. As a scientist with some knowledge of vaccines and immunity, and if evidence-based decision making, I'll be at the front of the queue. Natural selection may well take care of the anti-vaxxers.

3. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Although I agree, if there are too many anti-vaxxers, it may well cause significant damage and even prevent any good a vaccine might bring. No doubt you recall the backlash against MMR caused by Andrew Wakefield and the increase in childhood illness as a result.

4. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Risks are always trivial when applied to someone else.

Whoever they might be.

lexus300 likes this.
  5. JessicaCampbell74UWZ

JessicaCampbell74UWZ New commenter

I believe that this vaccine has not been tested enough, that's why I'm against this vaccine.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I regret that there is no option to which I can respond positively.

Yes, if a vaccine becomes available I shall take it up.

Several, mostly due to working in the Middle East and in South East Asia.

Smallpox (a good number of years ago when some countries still insisted on it)
    Yellow Fever
    Tetanus
    Meningitis
    Cholera (many times - it doesn't last long)
    Hepatitis A
    Hepatitis B
    Typhoid
    Japanese encephalitis
    Pneumonia
    Flu (every year)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  7. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Thanks, @nomad.
    I appreciate your perspective.

nomad likes this.
  8. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Heavens! Your blood stream must be like a war zone.

nomad likes this.
  9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have taken the Flu vaccination for the last 4 years and pneumonia (one only) as well.
    I will wait regarding CV19. Cannot convince myself that it is much different to flu in reality.
    Far too much panic/hype surrounding CV19 for me and if the vaccine comes from China, forget it.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I suppose I should add rubella too.

When I first started teaching (mid-1970s) I had a half class of weeping hysterical Year 8 girls to lead down to the school hall for their rubella jabs from the school nurse. Since they all initially refused to go first, I sat down and took a jab from the nurse just to show them there was nothing to worry about and that it didn't hurt

(It bloody well did hurt!)

smoothnewt, lexus300 and maggie m like this.
  11. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I remember getting the rubella jab in the mid 70's. The medical room was next to the Heads office. There was a fair bit of wailing and weeping going on, as your experience nomad. TheHead flew out of his office and threatened rubbish collection duities for the rest of term if there was another sound. Comllete silence from then on.

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I shall have the vaccination when the opportunity presents itself. In fact when it's generally available I would like to see it become necessary in order to access international travel.

nomad, smoothnewt, Symingtons and 4 others like this.
  13. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Having had many vaccinations in the past, BCG, Yellow Fever, Polio (including as an adult, twice), cholera, typhoid, so I'll probably be a yes unless there is anything in it I'm allergic to.

nomad likes this.
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Which vaccine?

nervousned and nomad like this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I've had most of those as has Maleficent.

I should add mumps.

nomad likes this.
  16. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Which one?

17. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Two questions for you: what evidence have you for this belief? Have you read the research papers (not the fluff on Facebook et Al)?
    And a supplementary one: have you checked the 130+ different vaccines presently under development worldwide?

18. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Firstly - as others have said Which vaccine?
    Secondly - well ...... no vaccine has been tested enough YET - that’s why scientists run trials. But, by the time it is available, the vaccine will have been ‘tested enough’ and even then it has to be approved by various regulatory authorities.

19. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Ah we have put forward legislation to bypass some of the regulatory authorities I think.

DrLinus likes this.
  20. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

I would definitely have any of the vaccines that become available. I would go so far as to say I would willingly be first in the queue. However, I know that there are many more people who are much more vulnerable than me so will wait my place in the queue in the hope that I won't have to wait too long once it does come available.

Doitforfree likes this.