1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 and schools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Scintillant, Aug 2, 2020.

1. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

What would your plan be, if you had unfettered power to make the top decisions? Would it be to get back to complete business as usual, let everyone get it, and then get it over with?

2. old_dobbin

old_dobbin Occasional commenter

Here is an alternative view on this issue:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/08/push-reopen-schools-fail/614869/

3. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

No they can't, we are the very worst for deaths per 100,000 of population. We do have fewer total deaths but only because we have a smaller total population.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  5. old_dobbin

old_dobbin Occasional commenter

6. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

No. It would be to go back to as near normal as possible but protect and shield those most likely to get seriously ill or die, i.e. the very old and those with serious comorbidities. And no more sending ill patients out of hospitals to nursing homes either - that seems to have been the big mistake that fuelled a lot of deaths early on.

Young people under 25 are five times more likely to die from normal flu than from Covid, so as long as we shield at-risk teachers schools and Unis can re-open.

Once most of the percentage of the population not at major risk have had and recovered from the disease, as they seem to have done now in Sweden, there will be a level of general immunity (though it seems science is divided on what the %age needs to be) and then we can be even more open.

Maybe by then there will be a cure - there seem to be promising signs coming from Oxford.

7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

But the UK has also been counting even suspected Covid deaths as Covid deaths. For the first 6 weeks if you died with a cough and were 90 and in hospital in a coma from a stroke, you were still classed as Covid. Heart attack and cancer deaths fell as Covid deaths rose. Doctors were encouraged to use Covid as a CoD.

The most reliable figure is likely to turn out to be excess deaths - it won't be accurate, but it will give a better idea. But we don't seem to be able to get that for all countries at the moment.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

It should not be the sole purpose of reopening schools, but fewer parents would be able to return to work without it happening, which presumably in the long run would lengthen the time taken to effect any degree of economic recovery. On the question of why we send our children to school to be educated in the first place, some would argue that it's done to enable them to take their place in the workplace and make some meaningful contribution to supporting society, as opposed to being done simply for their own self development. In which case it would be a good idea to make sure there were actually jobs for them to go to at some point in the not too distant future, and allowing the economy to stall probably isn't helping much on that score.

Rock and a hard place.

It's easily done, if you have significant numbers of people who consider themselves immune by virtue of being neither old nor officially deemed vulnerable, and continue to live their lives according to the entitlement they are afforded as fully paid up members of the cult of "I, Me, Myself".

old_dobbin and ajrowing like this.
  9. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

I live near to one of the LAs with rising infections, although my own is very low. Of course as people travel to work in those areas the risk of it increasing in neighbouring LAs goes up. Seeing local lockdowns seems the only way of curtailing it.

To me it is children’s self development, social interaction and mental well being that is so important with the reopening of schools. Every year group needs some time in school. The arbitrary choice of R, Y1 and Y6 was wrong. School should have been allowed to rota pupils in. I fully appreciate it is a logistical nightmare for secondary colleagues. But we must at least try for the sake of our young people.

Let schools try to give something to all pupils even if not full time. Free them from the stupidity of Ofsted and SATs. Let them focus on the things that matter. I hate wearing masks but if it makes it safer let’s do it and try.

Having said that I feel the pain of businesses having to remain closed and even if they do reopen many have been damaged beyond repair. My own gym announced it was going into administration yesterday. All the young people it employs now face so much uncertainty. That place was instrumental in my recovery from severe depression. I despair for the theatres too. Not all can put on shows in the open air. :(

10. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

As professionals, we all know how important the class environment and school environment is and why a calm and orderly atmosphere is conducive to effective learning. The omnipresent threat hanging over all of us in September is going to make that learning, that environment harder to achieve.
    Our biggest obstacle will be creating a sense of the 'normal' for students to learn and thrive in.

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The best guide to what might happen is the 22 European countries that had schools open mid May.

George_Randle and artboyusa like this.
  12. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Yes and No.
    The weather will play an important part and we haven't seen the foggy greyness of a wintry drizzly morning as we all shuffle into an overheated, poorly ventilated, not-designed-for -covid classroom. When the rain pours down, where do these ' bubbles' go ? They stay in the same room as they've been in and will be in all day.

jellycowfish, Catgirl1964 and steely1 like this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Whatever happened to all the money promised for holiday tutoring and catch-up schemes? I don't know anyone, student or colleague, who is taking part in one of these.

14. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Don’t imagine it will materialise in Sept either. We’ll just limp on as usual having to work linger and harder.

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

But the money has been handed to cronies to provide this. I think I'll drop an email to my MP.

ajrowing and jellycowfish like this.
  16. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

On April 19th it was made clear that 5 tests needed to be met.

"Four, we need to be confident that testing capacity and PPE is being managed, with supply able to meet, not just today's demand, but future demand.

"And fifth, and perhaps most crucially, we need to be confident that any changes we do make will not risk a second peak of infections.

"When we can be sure that we have met these five essential points, we can think about getting children into schools again, learning, mastering new ideas and being with their friends once more."

Why has this been forgotten ?

17. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Because the government have selective amnesia

18. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

This has become the standard methodology.

Announce something to a great fanfare, get the headlines, and then quietly forget all about it.

19. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

How would one go about reminding them of this ? The word confident jumps out at me.

20. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

I don't think they've conveniently forgotten those tests, more likely they now feel we may not actually be able to satisfy them.

Initially, they woefully underestimated both the global demand and competition for PPE equipment, and the logistical challenges associated with distribution, if and when they managed to secure it, and they've been playing catch-up ever since.

If the Govt is indeed guided by the science, then I think we have to assume that the advice they have been given leads them to believe that the changes may bring about a second wave of infections, but are unlikely to lead to a peak of infections of the magnitude we had previously, and which could possibly overwhelm the NHS.