1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 and schools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Scintillant, Aug 2, 2020.

1. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Because -and I count my non-teaching friends amongst these -people believe that most teachers are shirkers and not workers. They think that ' being in school' is working and ' doing your job'. Being at home equates to lying on the sofa watching "escape to the country that nobody wants to go to." The idea that you might be pulling your hair out and re-inventing the wheel to get education to your students does not occur.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I hate blended learning.

EVERY effort will be made to get schools open on September 1st.

agathamorse and install like this.
  3. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

We’ve been using teams.whet problems gave you had?

1 can’t take an effective register to know who has and who has not turned up to view.
    2 what happens if kids don’t turn up?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. red_observer

Agree with all that. I must admit I’m surprised EVERYONE is coming back. I think I prefer. One week on one week off system to be much more safe.

install and Catgirl1964 like this.
  5. red_observer

I don’t think I know what blended learning is?

ajrowing likes this.
  6. red_observer

What’s escape to the country?

7. red_observer

What is it?!

8. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

9. install

install Star commenter

Students do spread the virus thus the argument might be they should wear masks or at least go to school in much smaller bubbles.

I’d like to see schools reopening but with smaller bubbles each day and a ‘flexible learning’ approach .

I think the time has come to also have more serious lockdowns of some regions over others.

Heleli, red_observer and LiamD like this.
  10. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

So, I share some classes with another teacher. Teams is linked to Sims, so whenever a class that I teach is due, the other teacher receives invites, his classes do as well. I have e-mailed my IT service dept about all of the below.
    2. The ' chat box ' from other classes also interrupts my lessons -this is because i have ' access ' to these classes because I'm the HOY.
    3. You can't take a proper register and you have to identify the student by voice alone.
    4. Students have been able to 'join ' the lessons before the teacher and have a merry old chat.
    5. Students have been able to 'invite' people from other schools to 'join' the lessons -with catastrophic results.
    6. There is absolutely no sense (imho) of a lesson -it's instructions and what amounts to a long phone call interrupted by tech issues...I'd rather lick a cheese grater.

"Escape to the Country " is a day time TV programme in the Uk which endeavours to find properties for people who do not want to see their homes turned into stopping off points for people on their way to buy buckets of fast food from the latest ' shack' The programme features nice houses at affordable prices and make you wonder why you don't go there yourself until you realise the episode was made 9 years ago... Surprisingly few people ever decide to buy. It also satisfies that particularly British need to poke your nose into how other people live.

11. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

It seems to me that there will be rolling periods of quarantine for large numbers of students and staff, if not whole school closures. I wonder how this will all be looking in October/November when the flu season starts.

A friend and her husband who teach in FE are starting back in three weeks time and have been told that student groups will be split, half in on the first day , the other half the next day, then online on the third day. They are very apprehensive about it all, and wonder if this will work in reality.

I don't have the answer, parents need to be able to work, but I do wonder in reality if the return to school will be viable.

agathamorse and red_observer like this.
  12. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The govt have made it clear in their ' guidance' that rotas are not allowed (in state secondary) and that ALL year groups are to be in at once.

13. red_observer

Thank you!

14. red_observer

This does sound very depressing. Maybe realistic yes. But depressing.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

Agree on some level. The problem is that the Gvt has not established a ‘minimum, consistent expectation’ for all schools - no matter what happens with the virus.

Instead they seem to have shot for the stars in much the same way that some HTs demand their teachers to do when they estimate the GCSE grades 5 yrs in advance for newly arrived Yr7s.

We are in a world where those involved in important school decisions do not teach and only preach.

16. red_observer

Agree with all that.
    Estimating what A kid might get at gcse in year 7 has been an insult to the teaching profession. Why it has ever been allowed to continue has always troubled me.

Is there some big announcement due on the 22nd?

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

How does "effort" beat a virus though?
    Events may overtake wishful thinking.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  18. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

What we have now is slightly worse than just Covid-19. We have a PM and a Govt who have publicly promised the nation that schools will open fully with full attendance in September. This now means that instead of thinking just about Covid -19, they're thinking about the promise and the fall-out from breaking it -so we know where that's going, don't we ?

Laphroig, steely1, Sally006 and 4 others like this.
  19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

It's the term of the "blending" of online and face to face learning. They could come in for, say, two face to face days and have the rest of the week at home, learning online.

My college had organised a really good blended learning programme for September and I was actually excited about putting it into practice - then the DfE pulled the rug out with this All Must Be Back All the Time nonsense.

20. red_observer

Interesting from Germany as they re start school there...

It comes as a study by the University of Leipzig suggested that schools were not a source of infections.

Tests conducted on 2,600 students and teachers in Saxony in May and June found no acute infections. Fewer than 20 of those tested had antibodies, which would indicate a past infection.

agathamorse and Jonntyboy like this.