1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 and schools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Scintillant, Aug 2, 2020.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

450,000 new teachers for the coming term is a big ask.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They should have been scaling up months ago. There's an army of supply teachers out there. They wouldn't need to double the workforce as not all teaching groups are 30+ pupils and a system of split classes of pupils sharing a teacher and a Cover Supervisor in a subject would work.
    They could also allocate 3 or 4 school days to older pupils (who can be home alone on other weekdays) as they'd get so much more out of the smaller classes in school.
    If they could find the money for the furlough scheme that is drawing to a close, they can dig deep for children's education and staff safety.

Supply agencies have the clients and they are all vetted and ready to go. Premises would be a taller order at short notice but it should have been foreseen earlier.

3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Doing what they should have done from the start.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  5. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Even if supply teachers were employed schools won’t have the room capacity. Portable classrooms? I asked about additional loos and handwash stations and was told they were unnecessary (read into that “too expensive”) so little hope of classrooms. We start in September with 4 KS2 classes of 30 using the same toilet blocks (3 of each) - how is that stopping cross bubble contamination? Even if kids use at different time they still touch the same surfaces and no, they won’t be regularly cleaned throughout the day, only at the end of the day.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, I've seen the gaslighting by Gibb.

My question was rhetorical.

The vast majority of evidence shows that mask wearing is a very good idea, reduces transmission, and therefore deaths.

I was wondering why the govt were not listening to expert advice again.

Catgirl1964 and Jamvic like this.
  7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Could the reluctance/denial about face coverings be a psychological thing ? suggesting that students and staff wear masks will bring about a constant physical manifestation of the risk/danger. Perhaps by not wearing a mask, you're encouraging a feeling of ' normality ' and an atmosphere where learning can take place ? I'm only thinking as I'm writing and personally support mask wearing across the board but I'm also trying to understand why there are people who won't/don't.
    This manifestation of emergency and risk isn't what schools ultimately want but they're going to have to if we have any hope of pulling through.

Jamvic and jubilee like this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I don't know. I just call it stupid.

There is a political angle to it. There is a set of right wing / libertarian people who opose them. The reasons they cite are usually based on poor science, often even seeing some sort of oppressive or conspiratorial intention.

These people are often climate change deniers too, lockdown opponents, and in this country, Brexit fans.

It's hard to explain in a rational way.

9. LiamD

LiamD Occasional commenter

I am not full-time, I made that decision after examining my work/life balance. I am afraid I can't see the irony that you suggest is so apparent.

nomad likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Speaking as a full time teacher - I can say that for much of my working life there really has been no work-life balance.

Jamvic, nomad, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  11. LiamD

I would prefer to accept that the societal changes required to make life better for such parents (and their children) would be a "worthwhile price to pay". A regional, statutory living wage, set at level designed to reduce this country's appalling levels of child poverty would be a good place to start in this regard.

Scintillant likes this.
  12. LiamD

Likewise, that's why I took the financial hit and went part-time five years ago. I can just about fit working 75% into a normal 40 hour working week.

Scintillant likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Working as hard as I did was very stressful and was not helping my health. I only realized this when Mum and Dad became ill about 7 years ago and I had to stop for a while to help them out.

I returned to full time teaching 18 months later - been a lot more careful since then.

Jamvic, red_observer and LiamD like this.
  14. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Ditto. Did this last year and now aiming to go early in a couple of years. The financial hit will be even greater just at the point where my teenager will be planning his further Ed. I just am totally caught in a “sandwich”. My Dad is 91and, though independent and amazing, is really needing more support. Married late and so only son came late too. I feel pulled in all directions at 50+ but need the energy of a mum 10 years younger. It’s taken it’s toll. Part time has helped of course but the stresses and strains of teaching are still there - just less exposure.

frangipani123, peakster and LiamD like this.
  15. LiamD

As I was brought up on a 'cooncil scheme' in Scotland in the seventies, I would imagine I'd be as cognisant as most with economic hardship.

nomad and agathamorse like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

17. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

@LiamD

I owe you an apology, for having been so judgmental and presumptious. I was born in the gutter as one of the great unwashed, I've spent my working life living there, and I'll die there. I can live with that, but I have a real problem coming to terms with the fact my grandchildren's life chances are, for the most part, pre-determined by an accident of birth. A lifetime of frustration, anger, disappointment, and disillusionment, cause me to say things I probably shouldn't say, to people who probably deserve to be treated better. That's wrong, and inexcusable, and I shouldn't do it. None of that is your problem. It's my problem, and by all accounts I don't appear to have done a very good job of managing it.

nomad and LiamD like this.
  18. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Or have kids in one week in, one week at home consolidating learning as has been suggested by many. Then we can have half classes, socially distanced and risk will be considerably reduced.

Aquamarina1234 and Sally006 like this.
  19. LiamD

No you don't mate. I'm anxious about the whole going back into school thing as I'm male, late fifties and overweight. I've been fortunate to have never suffered through ill-health and the long-term implications of Covid-19 scare the s**t out of me. I can fully understand why my being so cautious would irritate others

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  20. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

No, I was out of order. Bit of a wake up call really. Made me stop and think what a bitter and twisted f**t I was becoming. Not intentional, just kind of snuck up on me, both sad and somewhat inevitable. On a more positive note, I've swapped my high horse for a shetland pony called Frank. I can spend my twilight years engaged in role play, a sort of cheap-as-chips chinese knock-off version of don quixote, with a year's supply of simvastatin. Should keep me off the streets, and give me something to fill the time while waiting for the grim reaper to turn up with the taxi. Not sure we'll ever see normal again, but I do think we'll reach a place where things are way better than they are today. Hope you and yours manage to stay safe on the journey.

clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop

LiamD likes this.