1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 and schools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Scintillant, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I mentioned many weeks ago now, that closing schools was thought to have been the factor that had most impact on infection rates.

It received little discussion. There is a little more meat on the bones now:

Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, said it had become clear that there is a link between closing schools and controlling the spread of the virus. “The evidence is clear that schools are important in the spread of Covid-19,” he said. “Our studies show that, across Europe, closing schools was the single factor most strongly associated with drops in infection rates.”

Hunter added that while individual risks to children and teachers were probably low, school transmission was likely to push up general infection rates, so the disease would rise exponentially again. “Would re-opening schools increase the spread of Covid-19 in the population? Yes. I think it would very probably do that.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/educati...s-to-reopen-schools?__twitter_impression=true

Given the above, how sensible is the government's gung-ho approach to opening schools?

2. Scintillant

Posted this late yesterday. Bumping it

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I think (a) schools will fully open in September to provide childcare; (b) it very probably will raise the infection rate, especially as home-based working parents return to commuting and their workplaces; and (c) the government thinks this an acceptable risk to restart the economy and return to an appearance of "normality".

4. roman_eagle

roman_eagle New commenter

Opening full time is in complete defiance of common sense.

5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I fear you are right. However, we should not underestimate parental consent to children returning. It may well turn out that parents consider it too risky. Some of my high performing students' parents have already indicated their thoughts.
    Any ' benefit' to the economy would be swallowed by the soaring costs of medical treatment as larger sections of the community succumb.
    We will all find out soon since the 11th is the latest ' guidance 'release day.

hhhh and Catgirl1964 like this.
  6. Scintillant

What concerns me, is that if schools reopen, they may then have to close.

The psychological effect of that could be damaging to many, never mind the knock-on logistical effects.

We should have spent the last couple of months driving down cases to allow schools to open more safely. The really depressing thing, is that we have again acted as if the world is how we wish it were, rather than how it actually is. This could set us back so much further, when acting responsibly and taking the right action at the time would have given us a much better chance of returning to a more open society.

hhhh, bombaysapphire, strawbs and 7 others like this.
  7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I can attest to the mental stress. I now feel physically ill at the thought of a Teams Lesson. I'm simply not going to do any. My school does not allow us to see the students and the tech set up never works .
    This June has been essentially panem et circenses in preparation for a rough ride ahead.

8. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I have not got a fixed position on this and prepared to listen to all the arguments. I will keep an open mind. But my inclination is that we gave to try to open schools y der strict safety rules. Children probably need to be in zonal areas of schools to reduce contact with other year groups. Teachers probably have to wear masks but common sense needs to be applied.
    I do not think on line working can be sustained. Teaching is about face to face interactivity and I do think seeing teachers in the flesh as it were is vital.

will there be a rise in the infection rate? Common sense suggests it might especially to adults but what is the bigger picture? I’m no fan of Johnson as people know but we have to get some economic activity.

it’s a tough call. But On balance I don’t want to continue at present with on line teaching.

9. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Schools may well open if the National rate stays low. Last week it was 5 per 100 thousand. Unfortunately local spikes will have an impact on attendance whether local schools are asked to close or not.
    I foresee a domino type effect where Schools will close or be affected by parental fear stoked by increasing news reports, which might be not relevant to their locality.

Catgirl1964, red_observer and Jamvic like this.
  10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

That is the worrying thing. I agree we should have been trying to get numbers of infections down over the summer but instead most restrictions have been relaxed or are being ignored and numbers are going up. I fear they will already be quite high by September even before schools open.

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

That ship has sailed. We've got what we've got and need to work with that.

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The more you test, the more the numbers go up. Hospital and ICU admissions are not going up.

josiee99, Kandahar, Jonntyboy and 2 others like this.
  13. Scintillant

Are you saying that all the experts have missed that, and nothing is actually happening?

Something like 4 million tests are now "missing"...

14. red_observer

Good post.

we have been told to expect that if two pupils in a year group are tested positive then the whole year group will isolate for 14 days. Under those circumstances of course on line lessons have to happen.

frangipani123 and Sally006 like this.
  15. red_observer

We need to increase the tests. Simple as that.

16. Scintillant

Masks protect others. Everyone needs a mask, not teachers. The pupils dont need protecting from the teacher, it's the other way around. And then parent and grandparents will mix with children after school...

Sounds like you're delaying the unavoidable...

Impossible.

How do you control increases when there is a lag in symptoms, children can be asymptomatic, and there is no decent testing / tracing in place?

hhhh and Catgirl1964 like this.
  17. red_observer

Good points I accept. So what’s your take? Don’t open schools at all... until?

agathamorse and ajrowing like this.
  18. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I think that given the chances of more lock-downs and ' blended learning', we are in desperate need of tech solutions that allow safe, affordable teaching to happen online. This needs planning now. I had 2 days in which to write lessons for lock down learning (Saturday and Sunday). I do not want to be caught on the hop.
    It's absolutely true that teaching is about face to face and somewhere out there is a IT platform which allows a lesson to happen in a decent way, but where is it ? (clue: it's not with Microsoft Teams)

agathamorse and red_observer like this.
  19. Scintillant

This:
    Yes, most learning online, some in school on a rota basis but numbers vastly reduced and with proper distancing in place.

Other things need to be done too, but that horse has bolted. We will pay the price for our own stupidity, and particularly that of this clowncar of a government.

Jamvic, hhhh, EmanuelShadrack and 2 others like this.
  20. LiamD

LiamD Occasional commenter

Why was 'blended learning' so quickly dismissed as an option?

Catgirl1964 and Scintillant like this.