1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 and recruitment

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by CycloGoose, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Thespirit82

Thespirit82 New commenter

I’m looking to return to teaching and I’ve applied for a couple of jobs but heard nothing. Paranoia is setting in - are others finding that there is a longer than usual wait for shortlisting?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I guess they have a lot on their plates, and their minds, at the moment.

And if some of the team scrutinising the applications are self-isolating or even ill, that would be just another factor to slow things down.

Read my post just above and spend this time on quality preparation.

Best wishes, keep safe

Thespirit82 likes this.
  3. INTHEDOGHOUSE

INTHEDOGHOUSE New commenter

I would like to add. I had a Skype interview yesterday and was kept on hold for one day further and then 30 minutes on the day of the call itself, which put me right off. I'm normally someone who never fails at interview and I was informed today that I was not successful - still awaiting feedback. But I knew I hadn't impressed them and I wasn't asked meaty questions I had actually thoroughly planned for. What I would say as advice to practice with a friend because I found this interaction difficult and it made me loose interest, which came across.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, bad luck!

Actually,if the interviewer/s feel that you are not the person for them, then they often save everybody's time by bringing the interview to an earlier close. That's why it's a good tactic to have prepared the 3 USPs about yourself and get them in early, often in the very first answer (a divine question, straight from the gods, that lets you set out your stall right from the start!) "Tell us about yourself". No, you shouldn't be just spouting all about your Uni and all your jobs! (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, look HERE )

Absolutely, practice via Skype with a friend who can tell you if you are looking shifty, or there's a dodgy poster on the wall behind you. :) The link above has a chapter on Skype interviews which is more important than ever now.

Best of luck in the next job application, and keep safe

5. Patontheback

Patontheback New commenter

I’m so glad you are still here Theo. Last time I applied for a job (a few years ago) you were a big help and I still have the handout and my notes from your seminar. I am working on my USPs for a job as a hospital teacher. It just dawned on me that although they aren’t closed, if I get an interview it will probably be on skype. I better give some thought to that.

6. Patontheback

Patontheback New commenter

Just found your kindle books Theo. I was googling ‘best books on interviews’ earlier. What a find! Buying them straightaway.....

7. Jennifaerie

Jennifaerie New commenter

I have a slightly different situation. I'm currently covering a maternity leave and working from home due to coronavirus. I don't yet know when the person I'm covering will return, though there is due to be a vacancy at my school at the end of the year. I hope to apply for this role but can't apply for this, or anything else without knowing when my current role will end (although the new role hasn't yet been advertised anyway) I don't want to get to June and find out that the person I'm covering is coming back in September, but with working from home I rarely speak to my SLT.

I know there's nothing to be done but wait, and perhaps email if it gets to May and there's still no word. Jobs are starting to be posted in my area for September but I imagine some heads may hold off on recruitment until we have a better idea when schools will reopen.

Good luck those with interviews!

8. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Of course you can apply for posts - you can still resign by May 31st (assuming you have a standard teacher contract)!

9. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Thanks - I thought as much. A friend of mine has an interview lined up but the school seems to be hedging its bets a little in terms of asking them to teach an observed lesson, on the basis of us coming out of lockdown.

10. install

install Star commenter

Sounds odd to me that it would work on that basis and involve students not connected to their school?

11. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Sorry - should have been clearer: I mean that the school has said it would like to see my friend teach a lesson in person at the school, assuming we come out of lockdown sooner rather than later (based on today's announcement, it can't be any earlier than 7th May, of course). The reason for my initial question was - assuming we're not done with lockdown by then - can the school then ask my friend to submit video evidence of a recorded lesson, e.g. on Microsoft Teams, in place of an actual observed lesson in person?

... Or perhaps you understood that already?! Sorry. Was reading your reply too quickly.

12. install

install Star commenter

Ok. Regarding Video lesson submission at any stage, it’s still a ‘no’. (Think Data restrictions / safeguarding ).In terms of physically teaching an observed lesson at the school after lockdown it’s a ‘yes’.

steely1 likes this.
  13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The 5* reviews suggest that others, too, find them useful!

Theo Griff

.Keep safe everyone

14. charlottedayus131

charlottedayus131 New commenter

Congratulations on the post!
    This thread caught my eye as my current school are looking for candidates for September and have had very little response (due to COVID/Brexit - what a time!).

I wanted to ask you @CycloGoose - what you changed your mind about teaching in Europe after Brexit?
    I've signed up for notifications on YouGov and kept an eye out but I still haven't found much info about changes.
    I'm already teaching abroad, in Italy, for an IB school. HR haven't mentioned any changes to my contract and have just assured me that they will update if there's any changes.