1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 and recruitment

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by CycloGoose, Mar 18, 2020.

1. CycloGoose

CycloGoose New commenter

Any ideas how this might play out?

I don't currently have a job for September and starting to worry

We were planning on moving to Europe to teach for a year or two before Brexit made it too challenging but this is now off the cards!

Anyone else feeling a bit worried?

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

No is the short answer-and I doubt anyone else can yet give you a definitive answer BUT I suppose you could still register online with supply, and perhaps email heads (though they'll clearly have a lot on their minds right now, so perhaps not today!) This is clearly not a normal situation, so I doubt you will be able to take the usual route of applying, going for an interview etc.

CycloGoose likes this.
  3. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Yes - worried here too.
    But desperately trying not to be.
    There will be some kind of solution

CycloGoose likes this.
  4. ohpm500

ohpm500 New commenter

I share your concerns! I recently returned to the UK for personal reasons (but also to have a good chance at being able to attend interviews and visit schools for September). Now this whole coronavirus thing has happened I'm really at a loose end. Wish I could have known...

CycloGoose likes this.
  5. Setsugetsuka

Setsugetsuka New commenter

I am also a little concerned, as I'm also in the job seeking process, for my first teaching job. It'll probably be a while before any guidance is given about this since it is hardly a priority at the moment to schools, but I hope there will eventually be some. It's hard to know how to proceed otherwise. Luckily my current workplace (not a school) hasn't yet fully closed so I am not in dire straits or anything. But yeah. I think at the moment it's just a waiting game.

CycloGoose likes this.
  6. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

My guess (for what its worth) is that HTs will be planning on opening with a full staff in September - even if the schools remain closed, they would have to be ready to open as fast as they closed.

So there will be changes to recruitment methods and probably a few changes to contracts, but schools will still have to recruit. I would imagine there will be a lot more 'probationary period' clauses because if you cant see people teach, how do you assess their ability otherwise? But the job market will slow right down because people won't want to be leaving their jobs with this uncertainty. And if the crisis extends beyond September, that could be a game changer, particularly for supply, because there's basically none of that going to be happening.

Stay calm, keep applying, brush up on your interview skills.

Lara mfl 05 and CycloGoose like this.
  7. speaker2

speaker2 New commenter

If schools have got vacancies that they already know about, I think they still will need to recruit teachers. Yes, the process of interviewing will be having to keep social distancing and might be via Skype etc. However, if a school knows that it needs say, 3 teachers due to staff leaving, then they will still need to recruit them . It would too risky to leave the posts vacant, then have schools opened fully for September , with not enough staff. With NQTs not being able to complete all their practical teaching placements during the summer, although the government has still said these people will get their teaching qualification, I wonder how that will affect schools who would normally be recruiting NQTs, as these candidates will need a lot more support once in full time teaching posts.

CycloGoose likes this.
  8. speaker2

speaker2 New commenter

Supply seems to be non-existent anyway in primary schools as far as I can tell this year, even before the COVID19 situation.

CycloGoose likes this.
  9. cornflake

I have an interview in the coming week - so they are still happening!

steely1 and CycloGoose like this.
  10. Good luck with your interview Cornflake. I hope it goes well.
    I'm looking at jobs at the minute and concerned about not having anything lined up for September too.

CycloGoose and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

Good luck Cornflake!
    I'm also searching for work to start in September, but its slim pickings at the moment.

CycloGoose and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No need for people to be panicking about getting a job for September.

The Heads are probably worrying about it more than you are!

They will need staff to teach, they will need to replace those who retire, or leave for any other reason.

So, they will be recruiting.

What will most probably change, as other posters have said, is HOW they recruit. It is unlikely that they will be able to hold face-to-face interviews with teaching observations. Just a slim chance, but unlikely. That throws a spanner in the works for Safer Recruiting which likes face-to-face interviews!

It also means that you, the candidate, won't get a chance to visit the school, meet the staff, see the pupils, get a feel of the place.

But there are large numbers of British teachers teaching at schools abroad who were appointed in exactly these conditions, and have found it fine. Interviews by Skype are slightly different, you need to think hard about that, there's a chapter in the Interview for a Teaching job about that. bit.ly/TheoGriff

Meanwhile you should all start preparing seriously for applying, if you are a NQT, then working on a fairly generic E.S., deciding what are your USPs to highlight in the application letter, and generally getting fully geared up.

There will be jobs, there will be schools who want teachers like you!

Best wishes

13. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

Good luck cornflake!

CycloGoose likes this.
  14. cornflake

Thankyou!
    Boris has put a stop to it - and while that is personally very frustrating, I accept the school felt it had no choice but to postpone.
    I’d argue for a leadership position something like Zoom could have been used - especially as candidates are likely to have already spent quite a while visiting the school, and preparing for the interview.... however I guess there are also downsides?
    Overall I think we do need to change how recruitment works in this profession - as a Head it has certainly made me reflect on the process!!

TheoGriff and CycloGoose like this.
  15. cornflake

I hope you are right!!

CycloGoose likes this.
  16. CycloGoose

CycloGoose New commenter

These really are strange and uncertain times.

You're right that schools will have to fill places somehow though I suspect this is not going to be priority number 1 at the moment!

Good luck to all. Stay safe.

17. CycloGoose

CycloGoose New commenter

I have a zoom interview tomorrow so some things are happening! There's very little out there in terms of jobs, though!

18. cornflake

I had a MS Teams interview yesterday. For a supply agency.

It was worth doing just to learn some hazards about this approach

1. Make sure you really do know how to connect in to the call!!
    2. Keep pets out of the room. Especially if they are the inquisitive type
    3. I don't have a webcam, so had to balance my phone on a pile of books so it was at a reasonable height. Not sure I got that right.
    4. If you have been asked for documents, lay them out on the table next to you - out of sight of the camera but easy to reach when asked.
    5. Remember it is an interview - so make sure you aren't in your PJ's!

I think it's probably easier if you are on a desktop with a webcam.

CycloGoose likes this.
  19. CycloGoose

CycloGoose New commenter

Hi Daisy18,

The main thing on Zoom was that I was expecting it to 'ring' but I had to join the meeting using a code, which I hadn't seen come through to my inbox.

Make sure you have some very good examples lined up of great lessons and why they were so great.

If you can do a 'test call' with a friend beforehand, that would be helpful - at a similar time of day, if possible so that you can check that you are visible without streams of light etc.

Try, if possible, to look at the camera as this means it will look like you are maintaining eye contact.

Otherwise, treat it exactly like a normal interview and you should be fine.

I got the job, so I am very happy and relieved! A big drop in pay from my current role but they had already appointed my replacement.

Good luck with it all x

cornflake and daisy18 like this.
  20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

FaceTime, Zoom, Skype, MS Teams and other video platforms for interviews are, in one way, a hopeful sign that the school is keen on you and wants to get a chance to nab you fast, rather than waiting a bit and risk losing you.

So take heart from that!

General advice on interviews at a distance can be found in one chapter of THIS. My overall advice would be, as Cornflake says, to think about the video part, but don't let that take over all your thinking. Make sure that you also prepare the interview as well as you would a face-to-face standard interview.

Best wishes

CycloGoose likes this.