1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covert aggression in the workplace

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sodalime, Nov 27, 2018.

1. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Have you ever been the target of covert aggression at work?
    How did it manifest and how did you resolve it if you did indeed manage to resolve it?
    Have you ever been the covert aggressor and what made you choose your target?

*I've included this link to a really interesting thesis on the subject*

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Yes. Generally from women; queen bees who held court.

curlcurlcurl and sodalime like this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Snap.

sodalime likes this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's exactly what they did about me. Complaints made loudly in the staffroom about nameless people with particular responsibilities.

sodalime likes this.
  5. needabreak

No this was one Queen bee who was just an inept manager, she was the same with many others. Still survival is key.

curlcurlcurl and sodalime like this.
  6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Yes. Everyday, for years, by every second person in the place.

sodalime likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Ineptitude would have worried me not at all.

sodalime likes this.
  8. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Interesting, but being a Queen Bee who holds court is not in itself an example of covert aggression . . .

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

In itself, no, but when the queen bees played their drones into the game it became covert aggression and derailed my career at the wrong time. I outlasted them and outpaced their acolytes in the end.

needabreak and sodalime like this.
  10. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

What strategies/tactics did you use?

11. needabreak

It would if it came across as aggressive and possibly threatening to you and your career.

sodalime likes this.
  12. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

:(:( That's no good . . . were you scapegoated for a toxic environment?

needabreak likes this.
  13. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Yep. From a Queen Bee, who quite frankly was a mindless t*** with zero personal skills.

She once came storming into my classroom, shouting and screaming at my Y11s, until the HoF got off his backside and removed her. She also used to come storming into my classroom, shouting for no reason. Or telling me to stay late so she could speak to me, and then I'd find she had gone home.

One memorable episode was when I politely asked her for revision booklets. She started shouting at me aggressively about how I needed to photocopy something, and how I was wrong about this and that - in front of another female middle manager, who was also a mindless t***

Also, according to her, my teaching was ****, my marking was **** - and she wasn't above backstabbing. Frankly, she's a mindless t***.

She left. So did I, as a school which tolerates people like that is not to be tolerated. I did get some revenge - I slagged her off to someone, then found out she over heard. Hah! Truth hurts, ******!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    sabrinakat and sodalime like this.
  14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

There were little digs in briefing, in front of the whole staff (or at least, most of them). I knew that he gossiped about me to other people because I heard him. Mind you, he did that to most people. He asked me to do a task, which I did and then said publicly that I hadn’t.

I called him out in briefing.
    I called him out in the meeting when he accused me of not doing the task
    I ignored his gossip because it was the norm.

He broke me in the end and I left.

15. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

This is plain old aggression and very detectable and provable (though entirely unacceptable) . . . it's the covert stuff that can be much trickier . . .

16. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Thanks @sodalime
    Problem is, it had a devastating effect on me. I was crying a lot, not sleeping, and dreading coming into work. In fact. I would find places to hide in to avoid the mindless T***.

Oh, and there was covert aggression as well. Such as refusing to let me write schemes of work, or slating them when I did; critcising me in meetings - she's an utter c***. Oh, and speaking to me as though I was mentally defective, even though her spelling and grammar were so poor I found her claims of a degree from a top red brick highly dubious.

sodalime likes this.
  17. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

:( Do you wish that you gone about things in a different way or are you happy with the outcome?

18. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Oh gawd, that's awful. Sorry.
    This is probably a stupid question, but did you report her?

19. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I did talk to HR, got the platitudes of how she was leaving things would be better. Yeah, of course. I wasn't prepared to hang around in a place who knew she was a problem - 7 members of staff in four years had come and gone from the department due to her - and did diddly squat.

sodalime likes this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I feel I've been quite lucky in this regard but I did have a spell with an HT who could brook no criticism even if it were only inferred. He'd smile and say it was an interesting viewpoint and he'd certainly take it on board. Then I got an email saying it seemed I didn't "share the vision" and he was going to personally observe me to make sure I understood what was expected of staff. And he did. Twice a week for four weeks; it was tabled as "support". He only packed it in when I got the union involved.