1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covering playtime duty strike action

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jha9jpr, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Would like some advice please! Our school is just opening for the classes whose teachers are not striking next week, yet the teacher who normally does duty at play is striking that day. I asked what we were to do, we were told either do a duty for our own class or don't give the class a break or take them out for 'p.e.' when they would normally have play. Am I allowed to do this? I'm keen not to undermine colleagues, but don't want to seem like a trouble maker! Any advice?
    Thanks!

2. We've been told that we are not allowed to carry out anything that the striking teacher would usually do, this includes covering break duty, as it is 'breaking the strike' and it would show a lack of support for those who are striking.

3. As far as I understand it the Heads have clarified with necessary departments what the situation is for all of their staff and as a TA and I will be doing all of the duties I would normally do on Strike day, including play time duties. I would be expected to cover a teachers playtime if they had something else they needed to do so I don't see why Strike day is any different. The children must come first.