1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covering letters

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by GemsEYFS, Mar 26, 2011.

1. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

I am having trouble trying to construct a covering letter for a recption teachers post.
    I wonder if any body could offer my any tips, or offer me an example letter to look at for ideas on content and structure- Obviosly knowing mine will be very different with my own abilities.
    Just realy need some ideas! Thank you

2. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

I am having trouble trying to construct a covering letter for a recption teachers post.
    I wonder if any body could offer my any tips, or offer me an example letter to look at for ideas on content and structure- Obviosly knowing mine will be very different with my own abilities.
    Just realy need some ideas! Thank you

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

It depends if you have also to complete info on the form.
    You MUST weave in the things that are in the person spec - and really sell yourself. Get someone else to do it! It is embarrasing to do this, but do not be shy. If you have driven a minibus and that is required then put that in. If you are not squirming when you write the letter then either you are a big 'ead or you have not put in enough praise for yourself.
    "During my time at x I drove a minibus"
    At my time doing such and such I demonstrated good team work skills, working alongside other team members and using my initiative when appropriate, ensuring good delivery of the aims of the project.
    I have been priveledged to do such and such and gained experience of challenging behaviours and was able to use a range of strategies to ensure smooth operation.
    ETC
    And make it interesting. If you have something special or interesting about you try to shove this in somewhere - My hobbies include teddy stomping and fire eating.
    The interview panel will have tons of forms to look through and yours must stand out both to cover the person specification and just not be dull. Try to think of examples outside of your teaching practice and career if your are a NQT - this is much better than just using your limited teaching experience and shows you are more lively and interesting than the other candidates.
    BlessXX

4. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Thank you for your advice ;-)