1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covering Letter

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mrs_CS, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Mrs_CS

Mrs_CS New commenter

Hi All,

So I am in the process of applying for a job and I have adapted my CV (2 pages long) and currently writing my cover letter. I haven't written a cover letter for an international job before and it is coming up to just less then 2 A4 pages (font size 11)

Previously when writing a cover letter for a job in the UK it has been 1 page or less. However, for UK schools I have filled in a whole application form matching my experiences to their job requirements. This particular school doesn't have an application form - it just requires a CV and a cover letter.

Despite online advice should I submit the more detailed cover letter and risk it going in the bin for being too long or should I cut it down and potentially risk not coming across as a strong enough candidate?? So confused!!

Any helpful advice is much appreciated and thank you in advance!

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Less than one side of one A4 page, please. Most are about two thirds of a page.

salamandes likes this.
  3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Absolutely agree.

4. Mrs_CS

Mrs_CS New commenter

Thank you both! I'l go back and start making it shorter.