1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covering Letter Opinion

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by f.a.b, May 29, 2011.

1. Dear James,

Hi all

I qualified from the PGCE last year and been doing supply work for a year now. I have applied for over 10 jobs and no luck. I really do not want to do supply next year.

Would it please be possible for someone to read over my Covering letter for me and give me some feedback?

Would really appreciate all the help I can get at this final stage. I am feeling that if I don't find a job for next year I can no longer continue with the irregularity of supply and will have to leave the profession.

many thanks,

f.a.b

2. Dear James,

Hi all

I qualified from the PGCE last year and been doing supply work for a year now. I have applied for over 10 jobs and no luck. I really do not want to do supply next year.

Would it please be possible for someone to read over my Covering letter for me and give me some feedback?

Would really appreciate all the help I can get at this final stage. I am feeling that if I don't find a job for next year I can no longer continue with the irregularity of supply and will have to leave the profession.

many thanks,

f.a.b

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not James, obviously, but I would recommend you look at the jobseekers forum. There is lots and lots of excellent advice there and hints and tips. Open a few of the welcome threads and click on the links.

A covering letter is usually just a 'Dear Mr XXXXXX, I have great pleasure in applying for the post of XXXXXXXX. Please find attached/enclosed my application form and executive summary. Yours sincerely XXXXXXXX

You really don't need someone to check that!

If, however, you mean your letter of application or supporting statement, then no-one can read it as such as it should be different for each and every post. Tailored exactly to the needs of the school.

Definitely get over to the jobseekers forum and see what you have been missing. Then use half term to sort out what sort of things you can and should be doing. Once half term is over you will be in an excellent position to get your dream job.

PS Remember to sell the positives of having been a supply teacher. Good Luck!

4. mrsshorty

mrsshorty New commenter

Hi,
    I would agree with the above comment especially regarding jobseekers forum. The advice is fantastic. I used it and have now got a position for sept.

I personally wrote a cover letter that was warming and to the point then with my supporting statement I used the advice from tes and kept it very close to job spec, using headings directly from it. Remember it is point scored so you need to show how you tick everything on the essential list as well as the desirables you can offer. Make it easy to read- by that I mean your layout so they can clearly see you have what they are after.

Good luck!

5. Thanks a lot

Yes it's a letter of application tailored to the school. I just wanted some professional advice as to if I'm writing incorrectly or including info that doesn't need to be there etc

6. also, what is the jobseekers forum? is it a different website to TES or something part of TES? please provide link