1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covering letter - handwritten or typed?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by flyingcircusfreak, Jan 17, 2016.

1. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

Dear All (but - as ever! - especially @TheoGriff),

Those of you who have seen my threads before will know I'm a current HoD applying for various AHT positions, mostly in independent schools. From two applications I've had one (unsuccessful) interview, with lots of positive comments which came directly from @TheoGriff's advice.

Most places seem to ask for a covering letter, but they're normally clear about whether the application is preferred electronically or through the post, and whether the covering letter should be handwritten or not.

There's this one, though... where they want the application in hard copy, but haven't specified whether the covering letter should by handwritten or typed. Which should it be?

All advice gratefully accepted!

FCF

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I would ask them.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Unless they specify hand-written letter, I would go for typed. Unlike France, where the former is the norm, here it is the latter.

Best wishes

flyingcircusfreak likes this.
  4. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

Many thanks!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As Theo says - unless they specify handwritten, always type. I used to think it very strange if I ever got a handwritten application statement.

flyingcircusfreak likes this.