1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covering letter and supporting statement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Tirol07, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Tirol07

Tirol07 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm applying for a job but am getting confused by the covering letter and supporting statement. I've had a search on here but keep going round in circles.

The application form includes a supporting statement to 'describe current duties and how you fit the person specification' and I also need to include a covering letter no more than two sides of A4.

Could anyone give some guidance as to how to separate things between the covering letter and supporting statement? I'm sure there's a lot I can include I'm just not sure what is best where.

My most recent job has been pastoral rather than teaching so presumably for a description of current duties it will also be ok to include the teaching I did in my training year.

Thanks a lot!!

2. Setsugetsuka

Setsugetsuka New commenter

Since the supporting statement asks for descriptions of your current duties, then go into detail with that there, and link things you've done with how that helps you fit the specification specifically. In the covering letter, perhaps be more general, talking about other experience you have and why you want to be considered for the job and why on a more general level you think you'd be a good fit (perhaps referring to things like the school's ethos?)

And I am sure you can mention the training year experience too! After all, those looking for their first teaching job will draw mostly from their training for situations like this.

Bear in mind, I am very far from being an expert, so hopefully someone who knows more will be able to give a better answer.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm surprised they're recruiting at present. Interviews could be a problem.
    Hopefully someone will be along soon with some of the latest advice, as I know it's been a couple of years since I left teaching and no doubt there may have been changes i the interim.

4. Tirol07

Tirol07 New commenter

Thank you! I have made the supporting statement more specific and the covering letter more general.
    It will be interesting to see what happens with regards to interviews but unless I apply I'll never know :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is actually a Gift to job applicants. You have the perfect opportunity to send them an E.S.!

Put the E.S. in the space on the form, and write an application letter.

Bingo.

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Tirol07

Tirol07 New commenter

Thank you! Whilst searching on here I came across some info on doing an E.S, most likely from yourself, will definitely go down that route.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.