1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Covering Letter Advice

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tjh102, Dec 9, 2018.

1. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Hi all.

I have seen a potential job to apply for. Not many I am interested in, but this one has got me excited.

Thing is, I have looked at the school website, Facebook, the national international school website, ***... And I cannot find a mention of the CEO or owner. There is no current head to address to, as this is one of the positions being recruited (it is a new campus of an existing school).

So... Which is looked upon more favourably? Phoning the school and asking for a name so that I can address my application correctly, or just sucking it up and writing "To Whom It May Concern". The latter feels so rude to me, but my current colleagues feel it is preferable to being "pushy".

Thanks for your help.

2. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Hi

Is there an HR contact email or telephone number, try that?

(Use Skype to phone to reduce costs if you don't have a cheaper alternative)

Even better if there is a named HR person.

Is there any responsible adult mentioned/contributing/quoted in school newsletters online?

Any mention in the leadership letter who is being replaced?
    Would then be a name to ask HR if it's them for the letter.

It ain't pushy asking.

I would see it as showing interest and initiative.

Just be careful when pointing out the school's omission.

3. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Thanks, Bytor. I haven't got HR but I do have the names of two of the administration staff and their email / phone number. I actually live locally, so won't be costly to phone. I already checked newsletters and all job adverts - that is where my brain went too.

I do potentially have a lead - a magazine article that interviews the school owner. It is written in the local language and script, but I can get one of my TAs to translate the name for me.

The other name I have (via my head who has the minutes of the national association meeting) may potentially be a headteacher or director but my head can't remember!

I will give a call tomorrow. Thanks for the reassurance.