1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Covering for striking colleagues

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by brush75, Jun 15, 2011.

1. A friend of time is a senior leader at a secondary school - in their SMT meeting last night the head said that if the NUT/ATL strike goes ahead, they would use non-striking teacher's Y11-Y13 gained time to cover.
    She (and I) are pretty sure you're not allowed to do this (and not purely because of rarely cover either) - did we imagine this?

2. Most unions will be sending out advice to their members about dos and don'ts regarding the NUT ATL strike. LAs will also be sending out guidance to schools (if they have any sense).
    My hazy recollection of the last strike action was that teachers not taking action should not be asked or expected to cover for those that were.

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

No is the answer they they do not cover. Tom is correct that staff be receiving instructions after the National Meetings of ATL and NUT to-day.Instructions from other Unions cannot go out until these meetings have confirmed what action ATL and NUT are taking on the 30th June.

4. It is illegal to get in supply teachers from agencies, but unfortunately, it is <u>not </u>illegal to ask other staff to cover lessons for striking staff. The convention is that Heads should not make this request, and many unions will advise their members not to cover in these circumstances, but in practise, many Heads do expect it.
    If you are asked to cover, you can refuse on principle and see your union if the Head suggests they will make things difficult for you as a result.

5. Last time a member of SMT covered my classes. You can guess my feelings on this.

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

7. My Head thinks that as he can't get a supply teacher to cover a class where the teacher is striking, he will move someone from elsewhere to cover the class, and get the supply teacher to cover the OTHER class. I am angry about this, but don't know what I should do.

8. You should complain to your school rep. who should then get on to divsion about this. This is unacceptable

9. I should clarify that this is even more unacceptable if the person covering your class is in a union, as all of the other unions not taking part strongly advise you not to do this.

10. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I believe it is illegal under employment law (not just specifically for teaching) for the supply teacher to allow their employee to be used for such purposes:-
    See Regulation 7 (b) of the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment
    Businesses Regulations 2003 (SI 2003/3319)
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/3319/pdfs/uksi_20033319_en.pdf